Chapter 24

Jackie sat in the back of the wagon next to Lucas's coffin. They had yet to find a decent place to bury him. He cradled Simms's assault rifle in hi mechanical arm, dried tears leaving his skin dry and cracked. Amata sat next to him, her head on his shoulder and her arms wrapped around his.

"I'm sorry, Jackie." she said. "I know he was your friend.

Jackie nodded and replied in a cracked voice. "Yeah, he was." They sat there in utter silence for almost ten minutes , then the wagon stopped and Gob walked to the back.

"We're far away from Telsa's Garden, do you think we should bury Lucas now?" he asked in a hesitant tone. Jackie nodded and hopped out of the back of the wagon, helping Amata out as well. Five survivors from Megaton appeared and grabbed the handles on the coffin. They pulled the wooden casket to a hillside not far from their position. The group sat the coffin on the ground and started digging a grave. Jackie sat the assault rifle in the wagon and started digging with the others. Before long they had a decent grave six feet down. The group lowered Lucas to his final resting place. Every survivor from Megaton stood around it, and after the attack at Megaton and the attack a few days ago, the number was dropped down to a couple dozen.

"Anyone wanna say their last respects?" asked someone form the crowd. Silence, then Jackie and Amata walked forward and stood a few inches from the grave.

"Thanks, Lucas. I don't know how I would've gotten by without your help. I'll make sure we get the townsfolk to safety. I promise." Amata laid a bouquet on the coffin and Jackie and her both stood up and walked away. Gob, Moriarty, and Nova also walked up to the grave and said some incomprehensible  words. They walked back and a couple that Jackie did not recognize took their place. Officer Gomez  with a patch over his eye and a mechanical hand replaced his organic parts lost at Megaton, and his wife Pepper  walked up and said their thanks. After a few minutes, the group picked up the shovels and refilled the grave. A wooden cross was put at the top of the mound of dirt. Everyone walked backed to the wagons and headed off. Jackie and Amata leaned against the barrels of liquor.

"Where do we go now?" Amata asked Jackie.

He shrugged, then Gob spoke. "We are heading to New Vegas, there is a refugee camp we can go to, most of the bums there are living in ruined stores."

Jackie nodded. "Alright, guess we are going to New Vegas."