Chatper 16

Henry wasn't expecting that. Behind him, Boon spoke. "You really think we should belive you?"

"Kano dishonors the Yakuza by allying with The Legion. The Caecilian Mafia knows more about honor, especially to women, than the Legion ever will." Tek replied.

"What’s your personal gain from this?" questioned Arcade.

"Freedom of my friends." Tek replied.

Henry thought for several minutes, before saying "I'll believe your. For now. I'll talk to the mafia's leader. You guys stay here with Tek. Make sure he doesn't double-cross us."

The Yakuza member seemed insulted. "I thought you believed me!"

"Doesn’t mean I fully trust you" Henry retorted. As he said that, he gathered his belongings and walked out into New Carson's Streets."

***************************************************************************************************************************

Jackie woke up to the smell of smoked venison. He looked to see Amata cooking on the propane stove a few feet away. He got up, his arm stinging. He gently grabbed Amata's shoulders and turned her around. He screamed. Amata had turned into a Feral Ghoul! She lashed out at Jackie, causing a deep gash in his stomach.  He fell, blood quickly covering his suit. Ghoul-Amata jumped on him, tearing at his flesh, saying in a disturbingly raspy tone ' "JACKIE! JACKIE! JACKIE!" His name was repeated over and over as he felt unbearable pain shoot up his arm.

Then the scene changed. Instead of a ghoul in his vision, the worried face of the real and 'smooth-skinned' Amata greeted him. He was drenched in sweat and he felt as hot as a nuclear blast.

"Jackie, are you alright babe?" Amata said gingerly.

"Wha...what...what happened." asked Jackie, his throat raw from screaming.

"You had a nightmare. Probably because of your damn fever." Amata said She put a cold, damp rag across his forehead. The extreme warmth from his fever subsided a little.

"I'll go get Doc Church." Amata said, rushing out of the Tent as she spoke.

As Jackie lay on his cot, he noticed something about his broken arm. It was a puffy purple color. 'Infected.' he thought, and he fell back into a deep, deep sleep.