Surgery

Chaeyoung and Jeongyeon had come early today to discuss about Sana's surgery. They told all of their team about the procedure and all.

"Ok team, let's go meet Ms. Minatozaki Sana." Chaeyoung said and headed to Sana's room. They all had their uniform on.

"Goodmorning Ms. Sana."

"Good morning Dr. Son." Sana replied.

Mina knew that she shouldn't speak right now as Chaeyoung used formal tone. She wanted to talk to her girlfriend but right now she was busy.

"So are you ready for you surgery?"

"Ne. Although a little scared but yes I am ready."

"Great. Just meet the team that will perform the surgery. So as you know I am Dr. Son and I will be the surgeon, this is Dr. Yoo. She is the anesthesiologists. She is Dr. Lee and she is the first assistant. Dr. Song will be the scrub tech and Nurse Choi will be the circulating tech. So are you ready?"

"Ne."

"Dr. Yoo. Please start."

Then jeongyeon and her team started the procedure. They took Sana to the operating room. Before that Sana's parents were there wishing her luck and so was JYP. All of them wished her luck then she was taken inside the room. Chaeyoung was about to go as well when she saw worried Mina and other girls.

"Hey don't worry. Sana is a fighter." Chaeyoung ensured. She then went and hugged Mina which calmed her down. Then Chaeyoung proceeded to go inside the operating room.

Once there where washed her hands and when she went the nurse helped her to wear gown and gloves. They were then set to go.

"Are we ready?"

"Ne." The team responded.

"Arraseo."

Jeongyeon then started her job. Putting Sana in a deep sleep under general anesthesia. After she feel into a deep sleep a breathing tube was inserted through her mouth into her lungs. The tube was attached to a machine (ventilator) that will breathe for her during the surgery. Jeongyeon then watched her heart rate, blood pressure, and blood oxygen level. The first cleaned skin over her chest with an antiseptic solution.

"I will start the incision." Said Chaeyoung. She made an incision down the center of Sana's chest from just below the neck to just above the navel. Chaeyoung was a really good surgeon as there wasn't any blood pouring out. This only happens if the surgeon is really experienced. (Referringto doctor Strange .....drama 🤣) Once the insicion was made Chaeyoung cut the breastbone (sternum) in half and separated the two halves of the breastbone and spread them apart to reach your heart.

She put tubes into the chest so that your blood can be pumped through your body by a heart-lung (cardiopulmonary bypass) machine while your heart is stopped and replaced.

Once the blood has been completely diverted into the bypass machine and is being pumped by the machine, Chaeyoung removed Sana's old heart. She gave it to the nurse. Chaeyoung then sew the new heart into place. Once the new heart was in place, Chaeyoung connected the blood vessels carefully so there are no leaks.

"Ok. In place now. Cut."

"Cut."

"Cut."

*Beep* *Beep* *Beep*

"Oxygen level dropping, heart rate unstable." Jeongyeon said. "We need to hurry or we may lose the patient."

Chaeyoung quickened the pace attaching the new heart in place and after few seconds everything became stable.

"Ok stable. You may carry one." Jeongyeon said.

When the new heart was fully connected, the blood circulating through the bypass machine was allowed back into the heart and the tubes to the machine are removed.

"Ok let's give the shock. Ok 1, 2, 3, pass."

"Doctor the heart is beating." Jeongyeon said.

"Ok. We shall observe now to see how it's working and make sure there are no leaks." Chaeyoung said in a firm voice.

"Ok suction." The first uses the suction to drain all the blood that's in the heart area.

Once they have observed long enough and everything seems to be fine Chaeyoung rejoins the sternum and sew it together.

"Ok I'll sew them." Chaeyoung start sewing. "Ok cut. One more cut."

"Great. Now I'll sew the skin back together. Pass me the sutures." Once she closes the incision she uses a sterile bandage to clean and cover the area.

"Well done doctors. You all worked hard. The surgery was successful. I'll take a leave now. Please transport her to her cabin." Chaeyoung said and left the room.