Chapter 30 - I Drive Myself Crazy

CHAD's POV

Saturday 8:03 PM

Chad: Thanks for the photo! I'm glad you had fun. Sweet dreams.

Saturday 8:04 PM

Courtney: You too. See you Monday. Sweet dreams Chad xx

I put my phone on my bedside table after I read her response to my message. I laid down and my head immediate hit the pillow. I closed my eyes and took a deep sigh.

I recalled all the things that had happened for the past few weeks, since my encounter with her in front of the faculty room and up to this day. The date.

In a short period of time, she sure has changed a lot. I wonder what could be her reasons for these sudden changes. Could there be any ulterior motives? Like, was she still after winning the bet again that's why she'd been doing all this?

I wanted to think differently, that she was doing all this for herself, that she somehow realized that this is who she really is and what she wants, and the old Courtney was just a façade.

I was happy for her, you know. I could even feel that she was happier, too.

But I couldn't shake off the idea that she might be after the first bet we made, about me losing to her and give her the exam papers instead. I was getting ahead of myself, and I know I shouldn't be thinking that this is about me.

But...

I picked up my phone and looked at the photo Courtney had sent me.

But I have to be cautious.

You wouldn't want to do the same thing twice, right, Chad?

"No, not again." I reminded myself.

I dropped my phone to my side and looked up the ceiling.

I'd tried so many times to divert her attention away from our first deal, I even commended her dedication to Annabel Lee and offered to do something for her in return whenever she gets a passing grade.

"But the first deal is still on, right?"

Her words kept on replaying in my head, like every time she does something good, or even nice to me, I couldn't help but think it has something to do with that first deal. That she was only doing all this to make me fall for her. I know I shouldn't think of her that way and just give her the benefit of the doubt, but I was only being cautious.

I have to.

I even wanted her to see me as a person, as just Chad, the geek, not as her ticket for the exam papers.

"You prefer me as the Chad Geek Treyson, huh."

That day, I was hopeful. When I put my glasses back and she told me it's much better, I thought she did, that she finally saw me for me, but her answer...

"I just don't want others roaming around you while the bet is still on, you know."

...reminded me that, yeah, this was all just for the deal.

Damn it, Chad. Why did you even want her to think of you differently and forget about the deal?

Why?

"That's because I care for her." I said as I heaved a huge sigh.

Maybe that's why I'd been doing all this, even going beyond what a tutor should be doing. I care. Crazy boy I am, that's for sure. But my intentions for her were pure. I just wanted to help her pass and graduate the right way.