Chapter 19 - Losing The Deal

CHAPTER 19 – Losing The Deal

** CHAD’s POV ** 

Courtney and I went downstairs after our tutoring session. I told her to stay at the living room with Cindy—who’s watching her favorite cartoon, while I go help my mom prepare dinner.

Surprisingly she didn’t ague with me on that and she immediately went to where Cindy was seated. I on the other hand went straight to the kitchen and offered my help to mom.

“Hey mom.” I greeted her. She was about to pull out the roast pork out of the oven but I immediately intervene. “Let me get that for you.”

“Thanks honey. Careful it’s hot.” She cautioned.

I settled the dish at the island table and turned to her. “This smells delicious, mom.” I said without hesitation.

“Thanks, dear. So, how’s tutoring?” She asked. Her tone was indifferent. It has a hint of something in it.

“Hmm. Fine.” I said casually. I reached for the mashed potatoes and stirred it.

My mom turned and looked at me. Her eyes were sparkling. “Your girlfriend is cute.”

I was taken aback by my mom’s words and spilt some of mashed potatoes in the process. I could see my mom from my peripheral view that she was fighting the urge to laugh.

“Mom. She’s not my girlfriend.” I told her as I continued to stir the rest of the potatoes.

“What? Why not? I could see that you both like—“

“I’m not and she’s not. No, just, no. No way. Nah ah. Case closed.” I told her in a firm tone. I wasn’t sure but her suggestions were sending chills down my spine and making me cringe.

Mom is totally losing it. Not because a girl came over doesn’t mean anything, right?

Besides, Courtney came here for a different reason. She had a plan in mind. If only my mom knew about this bet—about the pranks and the extent of it, I’m pretty sure she will never even allow Courtney to step into the porch.

“I still think that the girl likes you. She will not come here on a Saturday if she’s not.”

Oh Mom. You don’t know anything about Courtney Collins.  “She’s not. She’s just here for tutoring, mom. So stop with the thinking. Okay?”

“She seems nice and I li---“

“Hold it right there, mom!” I was quick to cut off my mom’s sentence. I perfectly know where this conversation was going and I didn’t want to go on that path. I wouldn’t want to lose this deal. “Don’t. Don’t say anything. Okay?”

“But---“

“No buts mom. You’ll just make things complicated and besides---“

“Aww. My baby is a man now.” She gushed. My mouth hang open, not really sure what she was trying to say. And then as if on cue, she continued. “You’re getting flustered over a girl. Don’t worry, your secret is safe with me.” She finished with a wink.

I was about to protest but then she already walked out on me and called the attention of everyone. “Dinner is ready.”

Man?

Flustered?

Seriously mom? What are you talking about?

And secret? What secret?

If only you knew that this girl is actually different from what you’re thinking. She’s not actually nice, well she’s sort of nice, but this is just a scheme.