Chapter 54 - Stop This

COURTNEY's POV

I snapped back into life when I noticed Olivia struggling to keep her head above the water. What? She couldn't swim!

I was about to jump into the water to help her. But, someone already beat me to it. When I looked down, I thought it was the lifeguard, but someone else dived in to save her.

It was...

"Chad."

He swam towards Olivia with all of his might and incredible speed, cutting through the water with each stroke. I'm sure he knew she couldn't swim that's why he looked so determined to save her and reach her in time.

When he finally made it to her, he grabbed her with one arm and used the other to paddle and keep them both afloat. Olivia was still frantic and struggling against him.

"Livi, Livi!" Chad shouted her name, trying to calm her down. "It's okay, Livi, I'm here."

When she finally realized it was Chad, she somehow calmed down. She immediately clung to him, her arms wrapping tightly around him as she buried her face in his neck.

Olivia was trembling, and Chad hugged her close. "It's okay." I heard him say, "I got you." He added. His tone was soft, but loud enough to get through her frightened state and for me to hear. "It's okay. I'm here now."

She pulled back, her breathing still heavy. I could see her fear slowly fading away and eventually she stopped shaking. Chad smiled at her reassuringly and said, "You're safe now."

"Court." Suddenly there was a hand on my shoulder, making me realize that I might have been staring at these two for God knows how long now. I let out the breath that I didn't know I was holding, before facing the one who touched me.

When I turned around, I saw my friends standing behind me, looking concerned. They had obviously seen me watching Chad and Olivia, and were worried that I might have been hurt by what I saw.

Yes, that was painful, no, heartnumbing painful to watch. I came here to celebrate my birthday, not to watch what seems to be a freakin' romantic movie!

He's just trying to save her. She was drowning!

The inner me reasoned.

"Did they get back together or something?" Jenny asked in a curious tone. I felt my stomach twist, thinking that maybe they did.

"Jenny!" the girls snapped at her.

I won't lie, Jenny's comment caught me off guard and probably stabbed me in the heart. I had been hoping, even praying, they didn't. But, who knew what happened in a span of what, less than 24 hours? While living under the same roof? Haven't seen each other for years? Maybe rekindling an old flame? I tried to stay positive, but it seemed like a losing battle!

"What?" Jenny asked in a defensive tone. She gestured to Chad and Olivia, who were slowly making their way back to the pool's edge. "Am I the only one who saw what just happened? It looks like--"

"Seriously!" Lucy exclaimed, cutting off whatever Jenny wanted to say. She cocked her head in my direction, her eyes wide and hinting at something.

As if Jenny finally understood what was happening, she turned to me and tried to apologize. "Court, I'm--"

"What?" I said, forcing a fake laugh. "I don't know what you're sorry for. It's fine." Straightening my back and holding my chin up, I added, "Olivia needs to be saved."

"Sorry, Court. This is my fault." Fiona's shoulders slumped and her eyes filled with guilt. But she immediately straightened up and defended her actions. "I can't just stand there knowing what she did and... and... you know, try to spite you!"