Chapter 63 - Battles

CHAD'S POV

"We're here." I said as I put the car on park mode and shut off the engine. We finally arrived at our destination.

Courtney looked around, confused. "Where are we?" she asked.

Honestly, when I told Mr. Duval that I'd try and help convince Courtney to reconsider her plan of dropping out of school, I never expected it would lead to this. That I would come up with this kind of plan.

At first, I had no idea what I'd do. I felt that whatever plan I had in mind, it wouldn't be enough. I knew I had to come up with something more meaningful. And just talking to her would not be as satisfactory. I had to come up with a plan that was more likely to make a lasting impact.

After all, it's not really my nature to just push someone to do something out of their own will. No, especially in this situation. Especially if it's her.

Courtney.

I wanted to give her freedom to choose her own path. But at the same time, to help her explore other options that is not base solely on what she thinks is best. Find the answer that would also give her the opportunity to discover what she was really needed.

Courtney has changed, yes. But she is still the same person with a sense of conviction. Once she sets her mind into something, she is determined and will follow through with it, no matter how difficult it may be.

That could be her driving factor why she did all this and decided to dropped out--believing that she should pay the price for her actions and mistakes, and that the best thing to do was to take responsibility for them.

"I know I said that Mr. Duval sent me to tutor you and that we'd watch a movie for a school paper. Sorry I lied."

Courtney's eyebrows creased, as if she was trying to process what I had just said. "What do you mean?"

"I should've been honest from the start. I didn't come to tutor you. I came because I wanted to talk to you about something important."

Courtney looked concerned. She seemed to sense that it's something too serious, and she appeared to be both anxious and worried.

"Don't worry, nothing bad. I just have something I need to tell you." I quickly added before she could even say something or think of the worse. And to make her feel better, I smiled reassuringly, hoping to convince her that everything was going to be alright.

"I know everything now." I started. I watched her expression change from worry to surprise, her eyes widened as if she wasn't expecting what I said.

I took a deep sigh and continued. "I know why you did all those things. Why you tried to distance yourself because you're afraid that similar things might happen to me. I know you endured everything because you thought that would keep me safe. You carry the burden of my past as if you were the one who hurt me in the first place."

I reached out to her hand and said, "I'm sorry for putting you through that."

* * * * * *

COURTNEY'S POV

"I'm sorry for putting you through that."

Chad's words caught me by surprise, and his warm hand on top of mine felt like a wave of comfort and understanding washing over me. I was so touched by his gesture that I couldn't even find the words to respond.

All I could do was look into his eyes, and wonder what did I do to deserve this kind of treatment from him?

Even after everything, you still see the good side of me?