Chapter 18

Next Day

________________________________________________________________________________

Alya was going nuts at Marinette's pacing around the room. She had been like this for almost two hours just mumbling to herself. Sometimes she asked a question to Alya, but that was on rare occasion. Alya was just trying to calm her down. 

"Look girl, your overreacting!" Alya exclaimed. She put her hands behind her on the bed and put her weight on them. "Tonight is going to go just fine. Gabriel already knows you from a few years back when you made that hat! He seemed pretty impressed then." 

Marinette stopped pacing and looked at Alya with a slight glare. "He liked me for my design, what is he going to think about me and his son?" Marinette put her hand on her nose and started pacing again. 

Alya rolled her head, "Who cares what he thinks anyway?"

"Uh, my future."

Alya laughed and stood up from her position. She walked over to Marinette and stopped her from walking anymore. "You really need to stop that before you run a hole in the ground," She said pulling Marinette's hand away from her face. Marinette looked at Alya, and sighed longingly. Alya led her toward her desk and sat her down in her chair. 

She knelt down on the ground and looked at Marinette. "Marinette you need to just calm down and think about what you can do to make Gabriel accept you. Don't think about the future that he could ruin, but think of the future you have now!" Alya said, pointing at Marinette. Marinette buried her face in her hands and continued to stare at the ground.

"And the only way to do that is be yourself!"

"But I'm so clumsy and not Agreste material."

"Now don't say that! Not being Agreste material is a good thing in this world. We need people like you that make the most out of things, even though their clumsy."

Marinette smiled slightly at the compliment. "So what do you suggest I do?"

Alya smirked at the question, "While you were busy walking around the room I came up with some ideas." 

Marinette nodded enthusiastically and laughed as she raised her heads out of her hands, "Why wouldn't I expect anything less from my best friend?"

Alya laughed back and pulled out her phone. Pulling out her notes she started to read her ideas, "Number one: Grab a fine dress. I was thinking that if we wanted to impress the genius designer, we need to impress him with a great designed dress. You know what I mean?" 

"Yeah, but we're not thinking like long and totally not my style right?" Marinette asked concerned. 

"Yes of course not that. Anyways, Number two: Talk to Adrien on what to expect and how to answer when Gabriel asks a question. I honestly think that's pretty high on the priority list," Alya said. Marinette nodded her head slowly and stood up from her chair. "Hey I'm not done! If you start walking around again..."

Marinette glared at Alya before walking over her window. She gazed out sadly, trying to fix together her thoughts. Alya's ideas were great and all, she just could help but think its a little too much. 

Alya looked at her friend and frowned. She could tell she was having the hardest time with life before, and now adding a whole other burden was a little too much. Alya sighed and joined Marinette at the window. They stood in silence staring out the window. Alya found Marinette's gaze fixed upon the couples on the sidewalk more than anything else. 

She couldn't help feel sorry for the poor girl. 

Alya figured she didn't want to talk anymore, seeming as though it was more stress than she could handle at the moment. She pulled out her phone and opened Adrien's contact number.