Chapter 91

Panic struck me like lightning. It took everything in me not to grab my diary from my mother's hand. My mind was a frenzy as I stared at her scowling face. 

For a moment I thought that maybe I can pretend that it is just a love story I wrote that just so happens to be based on real people. But I knew that it would be futile; it matches what's all happened this year perfectly. I could never pull the wool over her eyes.

"How ..." I cleared my throat. "How much have you read?" I asked, trying to keep my voice steady. 

Maybe she hasn't read everything? Maybe she hasn't read that Cole and I are together?

"I've read enough to know that you are seeing a boy I specifically told you to stay away from," she replied calmly. 

Too calmly, for my liking. I swallowed, but didn't say a word. What could I possibly say?

My mom shook her head as she looked around the living-room. "It's funny how I distinctly remember giving you this book beginning of the year. I gave it to you for you to practice your maths in. I saw you writing in it all the time, but you never had a textbook open around you when you did. I wanted to see how you were doing with your practice. Imagine my surprise when I found out it didn't contain maths at all."

"Mom, I can explain-"

"Explain what?" my mom snapped at me and stood up abruptly. Dobey immediately tensed next to me and stood as well. "What do you want to explain? That you lied to your father and me for most of the year? That you disobeyed me? Stooped so low that you forced your best friend to lie to us about what really happened to you that you ended up in a hospital? All because of that boy!"

"Cole never forced me to do any of that!" I responded quickly, my own voice rising. 

How can she pin all this on him like that? It was my decision.

"Oh please," my mom rolled her eyes, "you're acting like he's such a saint. You don't know him or what he's capable of."

"Of course I know him! You've read my diary; don't you see what he's all gone through?" I shot back.

"It's a sob story. Every teenage boy does it to an innocent girl because they know exactly how to wheedle into your heart. He is not who you thing he is."

"I know exactly who he is!" I snapped. "Just because you don't like the look of him, doesn't mean he's like that on the inside. I know he's genuine."

My mom scoffed as she shook her head. "You're so naive, Lizzy. He's tricking you! Don't you see that he only wants one thing from you and when he gets it, he'll leave you in an instant? If he hasn't already ..."

I stared at my mom incredulous. I cannot believe she just went there. My eyes narrowed. How dare she compare him to the players. He's the furthest thing from a player; I have never met a guy more loyal and caring.

"He's not like that," I spoke firmly. "He's done nothing but protect me and treat me with respect!" 

Heck, our kisses have never even gone to the point of making-out. And she accuses him of ... that.

"'Protect'?" Mom asked in disbelief. "Protect you from what? The bullying that he caused? Open your eyes, Lizzy! He's a bad person."

"You don't know him," I scowled.

"I don't have to! Don't you see that he's dangerous? Before he came into your life, no-one has ever raised a hand to you. Now you've been bullied, hit on by drunkards and attacked by his sister's abusive boyfriend - where you almost died! Not only that, but he's taught you to lie to me and your father!"