Chapter 35

"Well, the good news is that the scratch on your eye will heal," Dr Rivett said as he backed away from examining my still throbbing and bleeding eye.

 We were currently in one of the emergency rooms and the doctor was pulling off the bloody gloves he used while examining me and replacing them with new ones. 

"But unfortunately, your sight in that eye won't be the same due to the damage the cornea sustained."

"So, she's blind in it?" my mom asked as she sat forward in her chair, worry etched on her face.

"No," Dr Rivett replied. "She will still be able to see out of it, but it will be misshaped forms due to the light now bending at different angles from the scratch."

"And the bleeding?" I asked nervously as I held a tissue under my eye to soak the blood that ran down my cheek.

"That is due to you splitting your eyelid, which I will fix up now," he answered and walked to his cabinets, pulling out a thin needle to draw out a bit of clear liquid from a bottle. He grabbed another needle with a bit of thread. "Okay, I'm just going to numb the area around your eye, stitch you closed and bandage it."

I nodded and didn't even wince from the injection, purely because my eye outdid the pain of the prick. Dr Rivett waited a moment and I felt the pain slowly ebb away. 

"Do you feel when I do this?" he asked and pinched the skin next to my eye. I shook my head and he nodded. "Now just relax."

Soon the doctor had stitched me up and placed an eye patch over my dead-feeling eye. It was the weirdest feeling. It felt like my eyes could now go different ways like a chameleon.  

"I've prescribed two pills for you: a painkiller and an antibiotic. Take them twice a day, after meals," Dr Rivett instructed as he wrote down the prescription. "I've also booked you off school for the rest of the week and you can take the eye patch off after three days, but you have to change the bandages daily."

I nodded my head. I should've been happy at the thought of missing two days of school, but then I would have so much work to catch up on and ... I also won't be able to see Cole. I felt a little down at that thought. 

We said our goodbyes and my mom made me sit in the waiting room while she fetched my pills. She came back after a minute and gave me another can of coke along with a packet of the saltiest nuts she could find for me to eat on the way home. My blood pressure was still low, but not nearly as bad as before, thanks to the coke I had earlier.

The ride home was silent as I quietly ate and took my first lot of pills. I suddenly felt rather drained from the day's events and leaned my head against the headrest closing my eye. I had explained all that had happened to the doctor so thankfully my mom didn't have any more questions to ask. But I know for a fact that she was not pleased with how close Cole and I looked.

Dobey was there to greet me at the door when we arrived home, but as soon as he saw the eye patch his docked tail stopped wagging and he tilted his head curiously at the white thing attached to my face. 

I gave him a small smile and patted his head, letting him know I was alright. I heard the phone ring and my mom answered before handing it to me. 

"Your dad," she said.

"Hello?" I asked once I put the phone to my ear.

"Hello, my girl. How're you feeling?" my dad asked. 

He was still at his workshop and I could hear the odd sound of hammering in the background.

"Hey, Dad. I've ... been better. My eye feels a little numb still, but the doctor has given me some pills."