Chapter 46

When Sophia had first arrived at Ridgeview High, or any other school for that matter, she had noticed that people always tried to avoid getting in her way whenever she walked through the hallway. She always pinned it on her tough-looking attire and no-nonsense expression.

However, if the student body was nervous of her before ... they were petrified now.

"Sophie, wait up!" she heard Alice call from behind her, but she didn't pause in her powerful strides, her face a fiery expression. 

Sophia had hoped to avoid this confrontation. She didn't want to stoop to Rachel's level if she could help it. She was sure her mom would never have approved of her idea, but desperate times called for desperate measures.

Thunder rumbled outside the building as rain pelted against the glass windows when Sophia arrived at the girls' bathroom. She marched in without a thought and found Rachel and her posse circling around Mindy's crippled-form like vultures. Mindy's hair was a mess as she lay on the floor, clutching a hand to her stomach as silent tears streamed down her gaunt cheeks.

"Rachel," Sophia growled as her eyes narrowed. 

The girl in question slowly turned to face her, evil smile gracing her painted face.

"Oh, well hello there, Sophia. You just missed the show," Rachel laughed as she flicked a lock of auburn hair over her shoulder as she nudged Mindy's side with the tip of her stiletto heel.

"You've got a serious problem. You know that, right?" Sophia asked and she heard her group finally enter the tiled room behind her. "You literally get a kick out of degrading other people."

Rachel smirked. "At least I don't kill them."

The movement was so fast that no-one had time to react as Sophia lunged and slammed Rachel against the bathroom wall, pressing her forearm against the brat's chest to hold her there. Sophia's tall height allowed her to glare straight into the redhead's shocked eyes despite the fact that the girl wore heels. 

"You know nothing about my mom," Sophia seethed, her eyes glinting dangerously.

Rachel took a moment to recover and smiled. "Oh, and I'm pretty sure you don't know either ..." she said as she titled her head to the side as though she was regarding a leaf, "and whose fault is that?"

Sophia's fist connected with Rachel's jaw and a sickening crack was heard. Rachel yelled as she fell to the floor and held a hand to her jaw as tears pooled in her eyes from the pain. Sophia crouched down and grabbed the front of her shirt, crumpling the fabric in her hand. She didn't care if it creased the Channel material as she lifted the girl off the floor slightly.

Sophia knew Rachel was taunting her, thinking that she could do nothing to counter it. Oh, how wrong she was.

"I would watch what I say if I were you," Sophia said in a deadly calm voice. "My family isn't the one with the murder trait."

Rachel's eyes widened. "I-I don't know what you're talking about."

"No?" Sophia raised an eyebrow. "Maybe you should go and ask your father who was imprisoned for murder then, don't you think? I'm sure he'll be more than happy to explain it to you."

Rachel's eyes almost flew out of their sockets at Sophia's words, as did everyone else's. 

Sophia smiled, but it didn't reach her eyes. "That's right. I can do my homework too. So, if you don't want the whole school to know your secret, you better get your life straight or else I'll do it for you. Understand?" 

It was a bluff obviously. Rachel's group had heard every word and they couldn't keep a secret to save their lives.

Sophia didn't wait for a response as she roughly let go of Rachel's shirt and stood. Rachel didn't move. She stayed frozen in her spot, eyes wide and mouth agape. Sophia turned and she paused with she saw Luke standing there and looking at her bewildered.