Chapter 22

One thing I was not expecting was to see someone like Cole in a mall. I just couldn't picture it. But what shocked me even more was that he was somehow able to hear me when I said his name. The place wasn't busy but it wasn't exactly pin-drop silent either.

His gaze, which was focused on the ground, looked up and within a few seconds those deep brown eyes locked on me. My heart hammered in my chest and I felt my cheeks burn red. He actually heard me. His hearing must be brilliant.

"What's he doing here?" Richard mumbled under his breath, making me almost jump. 

I forgot he was even there.

"I-I don't know," I stuttered slightly when I realised Cole had changed his direction to come to us. 

My mouth dried and I felt my palms grow clammy making me subtly wipe them on my jeans. Why was he approaching us?

I felt Richard step closer to me and grabbed one of my hands, causing me to break out of my internal panic. I gave him a quizzical look, but he stared straight ahead. Then it clicked. We were still 'dating'. Well, he's just going to have to deal with my sweaty hand then because I did not want to act like a couple right now. It was always beyond awkward for me when Cole is in the picture.

I looked ahead of me and saw Cole stop about a metre from us. I gave him a nervous smile.

"Hi, Cole," my voice squeaked and I internally cursed my lack of confidence.

His gaze, which never once left my form, made me look down at my worn shoes. I really couldn't hold that smouldering gaze of his and it seemed even more powerful with the real 'bad-boy' look he had going. The only people I ever saw wearing leather and chains were bikers and gangsters in movies. The look unnerved me slightly.

"Elizabeth," Cole said calmly and I tried my best not to swoon at him. 

I really don't know how he could do that with his voice. It got me every time. I felt Richard squeeze my hand slightly.

"What are you doing here?" Richard asked Cole and I looked up to see Cole turn his gaze to him.

"I didn't realise this was your mall." Cole's facial expression didn't change once, but I heard the bite in his words. 

Richard was getting on his nerves.

Richard's eyes narrowed and he stood taller so that he was almost the same height as Cole. Now for me this was a nerve-wrecking gesture. You can't blame me though. My diminutive stature trying to break up a stand-off between two guys over 6' is scary. Luckily, I had an idea.

"Richard, uh, honey," I reached out and placed my free hand on his arm as he still held my other which I yanked slightly to get his attention. I was successful as his gaze turned to me and softened slightly, but his posture remained rigid. "Would you mind getting our food, please?" I asked and gave him a pleading look.

He stared at me for a moment before his eyes flickered to Cole then back to me. I gave him an encouraging smile and I could see his mind remember our initial quarrel that left us standing outside the cinema in the first place. 

"Fine," he sighed and let go of my hand, placing the tickets in it, before stomping off to the food-line.

"Sorry about that. He can be a little, uh ..." I frowned, not knowing how to complete the sentence.  I actually didn't know what to say. I didn't understand myself why Richard was acting like such a ... jerk.

I looked to see Cole shrug his broad shoulders before his gaze settled on me again. I bit the inside of my cheek. Now is when I'm glad I decided to wear make-up. I go through enough school days looking hideous. At least, I look decent in front of him for a change.