Chapter 29

It's been about a week since that conversation with Cole and he's never once brought it up, nor have I ever mentioned it. We just carried on as though nothing ever happened. I came to the conclusion that it was something we both had in common: being able to ignore something so well as though it never occurred.

There was an actual test this week and I had somehow managed to pull myself together to study for it, after a whole lecture from my mom to study, obviously. I was rather stressed before it as this one counted for marks, but I am pleased to announce I had gotten my mark up to a nice thirty percent. My mom wasn't very pleased about it, but at least I am improving. And so right now, Cole and I were busy going over the paper.

"The problem with this sum is that you took the x over too soon, causing you to not be able to simplify properly on the left hand side," Cole explained and I nodded my head, taking in the information. "Now try it again," he said and handed me the pen and paper.

I began to do the sum as he said. My left hand secretly found it's way to my hair and began to make knots from playing with it. 

"You seem to like playing with your hair when you're concentrating," Cole stated.

"Hmm?" I asked then looked at my hair which had a massive knot in it. I internally groaned and roughly pulled my ponytail out. "It's a bad habit, I know. I also do it when I'm stressed," I muttered and tried to comb my fingers through it, but hissed as it tugged painfully.

"You're going to mess up your hair if you keep doing that," Cole said.

"I know," I sighed and tried to gently pry the knot out, but it wouldn't budge. 

I grumbled and looked for the pair of scissors in my bag. I knew it was bad to play with my hair, but it was almost subconscious. By the time I realise I'm doing it, there's already a massive knot. I positioned the scissors, ready to snip it off when a warm hand enclosed around my wrist halting my movements.

"Don't do that." 

I looked at Cole and my long bangs which I had outgrown from the eleventh grade flopped in my eyes. My whole body tingled as I looked at him and he was silent for a moment as he stared at my face.

I looked down and a light blush came to my face. "I know, I look very different when my hair's down," I said quietly. 

Cole didn't say anything though. He just stood and I realised his hand was still attached to my wrist. I watched him confused as he came around to my left side, the side with the knot.

"Move up," he said and moved his head upwards for emphasis. 

I gave him a look of confusion, but did as he said and he lowered himself into the chair next to me. He put a little pressure on my wrist and I lowered my hand until it lay on the desk, still holding the scissors. I felt him gently take my other hand and pried it out of my hair before also making it rest on the desk top.

"Face ahead," he said and I did as he said, my heart hammering in my chest at his close proximity. 

Next thing I felt his fingers start to work on the knot in my hair. My face was in a deep frown. Why was he working with my hair? I could just cut the knot out, it wouldn't bother me. I'm not one of those girls who cries when she breaks a nail because now she'll look 'hideous'.

But whatever his reasons, I couldn't deny that his fingers worked magic. Not in the way that he's a talented hairstylist magic, but the soothing quality he made me feel. People playing with my hair was always a weakness of mine. Richard often played with my hair, but never like this.

Soon the knot was out with no pulling and I was pleasantly surprised when Cole didn't stop. Instead he began to stroke through my hair with long, languid movements. I couldn't help but sigh softly and leaned into his touch. 

"That feels nice," I mumbled so quietly that I wasn't sure he'd heard me, but knowing Cole, he probably did.

It was quiet between us as he continued to play with my hair. My eyes drooped several times from the feelings in which I was currently basking. I loved my hair being played with. There was no doubt about it. Funny thing was that when I worked with it, I felt nothing, but as soon as someone else did ... It was like heaven.

"Don't forget about your maths now," Cole said and my eyes snapped open with I realised how close his voice sounded to my ear. 

But luckily most of my hair had been pulled to the left, creating a curtain between him and my bright red cheeks.

"Right," I muttered and straightened, but his fingers didn't leave my hair, nor did I want them to. I grabbed a pen and attempted to concentrate, but he was making it extremely difficult. "Um, what do I do here again?" I asked and pointed to the question.

I felt my heart jump into my throat as he slid closer to me and my hands grew clammy as he peered at the question over my shoulder, his fingers never once halting their actions. 

"Keep the x to the left and factorise," he explained lowly and the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end when I realised how close he was. 

He couldn't be more than two inches away. I could even feel his body heat. Thankfully, my hair still covered my now blood-red face.

I gave a timid nod and did as he said.

And that was how the rest of the lesson went. I continued to go over my wrong answers and Cole watched over my shoulder as he played with my hair. Every now and then he would correct me, but I found I didn't feel as embarrassed as I normally did by being told I'm wrong. It was as though him playing with my hair made me feel more at ease around him.

Soon enough the session was over and Cole moved away from me. I instantly missed the warmth, even though it wasn't cold outside. 

"You better get moving, I'm sure you're boyfriend's waiting for you," Cole stated and I swear I heard a bit of coldness in his voice, but I shook the thought aside. 

"He's not here today. He went to a swim gala," I said and Cole thought over my words for a moment.

"Oh," was all he said. 

I gave him a confused look, but didn't say anything as we made our way out the classroom. 

"I might as well walk you out then," he said and my heart fluttered as I looked at him but his face, as always, gave away nothing.

"Okay," I said with a small smile and blushed as I locked the classroom. 

We then proceeded to make our way towards the office. There was a fair distance between us as we walked, but to be honest, I wouldn't have minded if there was no gap. I immediately chased the feeling away.

I greeted the ladies in the office and they raised their eyebrows when they saw that Cole was with me instead of Richard. To their defence, Richard has been coming with me for the past seven weeks. I would be a bit shocked too if someone different suddenly came with the quiet girl, especially if it was someone like Cole.

I handed them the key and then we were on our way out the building when I froze. I had completely forgotten one vital problem with walking outside with Cole.

My mom.