Chapter 81

Today's the day. 

Come what may, today's the day that Luke will finally confess his feelings to Sophia. He had everything planned down to the second. There was a carnival in town and he doubted that Sophia had ever been to one so it was the perfect opportunity.

Something's been bothering Sophia these last few weeks, so he guessed that the carnival would serve as a good distraction for her as well. He didn't know what was bothering her (because she could keep her lips sealed tighter than a vice on full force), but whatever it was had to be huge. The only thing he could pin it down to was Rachel. Ever since that day Sophia confronted her by the lockers she's been ... broody.

Unfortunately, he had been too far away to hear the words exchanged between them, but it just didn't make sense. This whole year Rachel's never managed to get under her skin ... so why now?

However, today was not about Sophia's many mysterious ways. No, today would be solely about the two of them; no secrets, no drama, just pure childlike fun that only a carnival can create. 

He figured she'd probably not want to go, so he'll pester and beg. Then when they arrive, they'll play a few games and then he'll take her to the hall of mirrors. He's never gotten lost in them before, but knowing his luck, he'll end up getting lost and Sophia would have to rescue him.

Either way, he was going to confess. And he was going to do it today.

-

"Luke?" Sophia asked in confusion as she opened the door to find a rather flustered-looking Luke standing in front of her.

"Hey, Soph," he greeted, almost a little breathless.

"Um ... what are you doing here?" she asked with a frown. She didn't want to come across as rude, but she wasn't expecting him here on a Saturday. Their project was finished.

"Uh ..." Luke hesitated and suddenly swallowed before clearing his throat, "I was just wondering ... Well, there's a carnival in town. I haven't gone yet and I was wondering if ... you would like to join me?"

Sophia's heard of the carnival. It was kind of difficult to miss all the posters, but she felt no urge to go to it. She glanced at the wall clock. 17:00. 

"Thanks for the offer Luke, but I'm kinda tired so I'll have to take a rain check," she replied as she looked back at Luke. 

She had just been to a track race event (which she'd won) and didn't have the energy to go out again. Also she didn't feel like being around a bunch of rowdy people.

Luke's eyes flashed with panic for a moment. "Are you sure? Come on, it'll be fun!"

"I'm hardly dressed for it," Sophia tried to come up with an excuse. 

It always unsettled her whenever she saw Luke disappointed with her, but she really didn't feel like being around people.

Luke glanced down at her sweatpants. "I can wait," he pressed, causing Sophia to sigh.

"Luke, I really don't-"

"Please," he begged, "I promise you'll enjoy it. There's lots of games and food, and I'm pretty sure you've never actually been to one have you?"

"Well, no, but-"

"So, then how do you know you won't like it if you don't try it?" Luke countered and Sophia sighed in defeat.

"Okay, fine, but I won't stay for long," Sophia said. She felt her chest lighten as a broad smile spread across Luke's face.

"Thank you!" he cheered and stepped forward, almost as if to hug her, before suddenly stepping back and coughing awkwardly. "I'll ... just wait in the car."