Chapter 37

Time seems to have a tendency of either dragging its feet or flying past faster than the speed of light, and when Sophia blinked again the school had already closed for the week of Easter holidays.

Although for Sophia, it would have normally been like any other holiday, which was like any other day; except for the fact that it's a slightly different Sunday sermon and with another one of the Friday. 

There was never really any celebration in her household. When she was little her father used to leave one little Easter egg on her bedside table before he went to work. But that last happened when she was eight years old.

However, this year was different in the fact that she would not be spending this holiday alone. This time she had the Woods.

"Hey, Soph, are you going to help me hide the eggs?" Luke called to Sophia as he walked into the kitchen cradling a basket filled with an assortment of multi-coloured eggs, bunnies and chickens.

Sophia paused and bit the inside of her cheek before hesitantly nodding.

"You two better be quick though, your father can only hold the twins off for so long," Mrs Woods warned Luke.

"Yes, yes!" he said exasperated and grabbed Sophia's hand once she was in reach and basically dragged her to the back yard. 

Sophia felt the usual sparks flow through her arm and her brows furrowed. 

"Here we go," Luke smiled as he offered her the basket.

Sophia looked down to see that Luke had not relinquished his firm, but gentle grip on her hand. Realising his mistake, Luke let go of her as though her skin was poison. He gave a nervous chuckle then cleared his throat. 

"You can take these so long," he instructed and handed her a half a dozen large eggs.

Sophia looked down at them blankly before staring at Luke's deep blue eyes. "And what do I do with them?"

Luke almost doubled over in shock. "You don't know how to hide Easter eggs?" he exclaimed. Sophia gave one very slow shake of her head. "Why not...?" he trailed off when she gave him a hard look before sighing in defeat.

For once he wished that Sophia would open up to him. He has known her just shy of three months now and the amount of things he knows about her could be counted on one hand.

Luke was not stupid. Although some of his actions at school did speak otherwise, he knew that Sophia was hesitant to open up to people. That new group of hers that was formed two weeks ago was the closest that he's ever seen her getting close to making friends. And even then he noticed how she kept her conversations vague and distant. The thought was gradually eating away at him. He wanted, almost needed, to know more about her, but she wasn't letting him in no matter how hard he tried. Why?

"Never mind," Luke shook his head and plastered a smile on his face. "Come on, I'll show you how a pro does it." 

He was about to reach for her hand again when he paused and felt heat creep up the back of his neck. He quickly grabbed the basket and marched off, Sophia giving him a confused look before following.

-

"Careful, Olivia. You're going too high!" Mrs Woods called to the young girl as she swung higher on the homemade swing.

"Don't worry, Mom!" Olivia replied as she cheered in delight.

Sophia leaned back against one of the deck chairs as she sat next to Luke. He had been unusually quiet today. Her brows furrowed. Why was she suddenly concerned by his behaviour? She knew she felt for him, but to what extent she did not know. And no matter how hard she fought those feelings, they kept trying to claw their way deeper into her heart.