Chapter 48

I sighed and rubbed my cold, wet hands up and down my equally wet and cold arms to try and generate some kind of warmth as the rain continued to sting my skin. I should've stayed home. Even though I left that note for my parents, I know I would be home before either of them anyway - which means I'm stuck in this weather and will, more than likely, get sick.

Lovely.

I was just beginning to prepare myself for the sprint home when I heard Dobey growl next to me. I looked down to see him standing alert, the hair already rising on the back of his neck. 

I looked in the direction he faced and saw a figure under a black umbrella walking towards us. Normally, Dobey was well-behaved in public, but I'm guessing because he couldn't see the person's face, it put him on edge.

As the figure grew closer, I felt Dobey push himself against my leg to make me shift away while he placed himself in between me and the possible threat. As the person neared, I realised that whoever it was, was incredibly tall. That realisation made me grip onto the pepper spray hidden in my pocket. 

Dobey snarled and bared his teeth.

At the menacing sound, the person lifted their head and my hand slowly let go of the pepper spray in my pocket when I got a good look at his face. 

"Cole?"

At the sound of recognition in my voice Dobey stopped growling, but he still stood in front of me defensively with his teeth bared at the stranger.

I saw Cole frown, but he dared not take a step closer. 

"Elizabeth? What are you doing out in the rain?"

"I am ... was running," I said with a nervous chuckle. 

His eyes looked me up and down and I suddenly realised how inappropriately I was actually dressed. My shorts barely brushed my mid-thigh and my baggy, long-sleeve shirt now stuck to me like a second skin. I discretely tried to pull my shorts down more to try and cover my legs as I felt my cheeks flush bright red.

"Are you waiting for someone to pick you up?" Cole asked. 

He looked the same as he did all those months ago at the movies; leather jacket, boots, all dark clothes.

"No, just for the rain to subside a bit," I responded, looking at my drenched clothes.

"But you're soaked," Cole stated making me blush. 

Was it me or did he just sound concerned?

"I-I'll be fine."

It was a complete lie. I was freezing. 

Cole didn't say anything. He just watched me, but didn't come closer. Dobey slowly lowered his guard when he realised that there was no hostility between us and cautiously started to move towards Cole, resulting in him taking a step backwards.

"He's fine," I said. "He'll only attack you if I tell him to."

At my words, Cole stayed still and Dobey closed the distance between them and warily began to sniff his jean-clad leg. I was shocked when, after a moment, I saw Dobey wag his docked tail and pushed his muzzle into his leg. Cole slowly pulled his hand out of his pocket and rubbed the top of the Doberman's head.

I was dumbstruck. Although Dobey was well-trained, it took him ages to warm-up to strangers.

"So, where do you live?" Cole asked after a moment of scratching Dobey's head.

"What?" I asked, shaking out of my stupor.

"Where do you live? I'll walk you there." 

Cole's gaze lifted to me and I blushed looking away, my tongue turning to blubber.