Chapter 98

After Mr. and Mrs. Potter arrived, James once again proceeded to bombard them with questions as to where they had gone.

But they answered him with the usual sentences, explaining calmly that they had gone out for work. Although when he asked them about their work, they ignored him and started wishing them a merry Christmas and exchanged gifts.

The rest of the Christmas break went by quicker than they had hoped for. Sirius went looking for a flat throughout the week, finally finding the perfect one and promising to show it to Jenna after the school year.

      At last, the holidays came to an end and they went to King's Cross station to go back to Hogwarts.

When the train started on, Jenna went to look for her friends, finding Alice and Marlene already in a compartment.

They didn't see Lily until lunch time when she finally left the prefects and joined them.

"How was the holidays, Lil?" asked Alice softly, looking up from her copy of Goshawk's Guide to Herbology book.

"It was a disaster," Lily huffed, taking the empty seat next to Jenna.

"Ugh, what happened?" Marlene questioned.

"Petunia got engaged."

"What!?" Jenna and Marlene exclaimed.

"With Vernon," said Lily, rolling her eyes.

"How did your parents take the news?" Alice asked worriedly.

"They were supportive, I guess." She shrugged with a sigh. "But I think Tuney could do a lot better than that Dursley boy. He even asked her to move in with him, but Dad said that could wait until after they were married. Vernon didn't protest, though."

"Ew, imagine being married to that cow," said Jenna with a shudder and Lily had to do everything in her power to hold back a smile.

"So when's the wedding?" said Alice, putting down her book.

"In July, I think," Lily answered. "But they haven't chosen a specific date yet."

When the trolley lady came by, the girls all got to their feet to buy as many sweets as they could and busied themselves as the train carried on.

But the closer they got to Hogwarts, the more guilty Jenna felt for not practicing Occlumency over the break by trying to empty her mind of all emotions like Dumbledore had asked her to.

***

The term soon started on as always and at the meals, Jenna tried her best to avoid Professor Dumbledore's gaze. Although she knew there was no point, because her first lesson was at Friday night, which was only a few days away.

Despite the terribly cold weather, Jenna had booked the Quidditch pitch only one day into the new term, determined to win the Cup this year.

Lily had decided to join them that day to watch them practice, which was a matter of interest to both Marlene and Jenna.

Alice had gone to the Owlery to respond to a letter Frank Longbottom had sent her as the other three girls made their way toward the pitch.

"But you hate Quidditch!" Marlene blurted out.

"Oh, don't be ridiculous, Mar," said Lily, rolling her eyes. "I don't hate it."

"Sure, but you never used to come down to watch us practice," Jenna reasoned.

"Well, excuse me if I want to come and see my two best friends," said Lily.

"Your two best friends, or your best friend's brother?" said Marlene slyly, wiggling her eyebrows.

Lily went slightly red in the face, but ignored her and kept on walking.

"You know, I'm actually starting to think that Alice was right," said Jenna.

"About what?" asked Lily.

"That you're a blind idiot."

Lily came to a halt and stopped, glaring at Jenna and Marlene who kept grinning.

"Now let me get this straight," she started, "I don't like James that way. And as much as I've tried to put his arrogant past behind and see him as a friend, that still doesn't make up for all the terrible things he's done."

"But Jenna has forgiven Sirius!" Marlene tried to reason. "And he's done way worse things — no offense, Jen."

"None taken," she said before turning on Lily. "But I think Marlene's right, Lil. James has changed so much in the past year, and I'm pretty sure you're the reason. Trust me, I know my brother."

"Well, nothing's ever gonna happen between me and James, so get it out of your heads," said Lily firmly.

And with that, she started walking again, unable to suppress her smile as she blushed.

"Yeah, she totally wants him," said Jenna, grinning as she watched her red-haired friend leave before walking after her with Marlene.

That day, the practice wasn't going too well because of the weather and the bitter wind, making it hard for the chasers to try and score.

And it definitely took a turn for the worse when a Bludger was missed by her other beater and hit James, causing him to get knocked off his broom and fall to the ground.

Gasping, they all flew down and dismounted their brooms, running toward James and circling around him to see how he was.

"Ugh..." James groaned dramatically, laying on the ground motionlessly, "Am I dead...?"

"Oh, quit being such a dramatic little bitch and get up, J.P," said Jenna, making Sirius laugh.

James was about to open his mouth and retort but stopped when he saw a girl with fiery red hair run forward, kneeling on the ground next to him.

"Oh, God," Lily gasped, looking down at him anxiously. "Are you okay?"

James gaped at her for long seconds. "I-I am now," he finally said breathlessly.