Chapter 71

As promised, their Hogwarts letter arrived not too long after, bearing the list of their new books which they had to buy.

That day, just a week before returning to school, they were planning on going to Diagon Alley to buy everything they required for the upcoming year.

Fleamont and James were both still in their rooms, styling their hair for the past ten minutes. And Mrs. Potter was up there, trying to convince them what they were doing was completely pointless, because their hair would look messy either way.

Sirius and Jenna were alone in the living room, waiting for the three Potters to come down as they sat on separate couches.

But Jenna finally broke the silnece as she said, "Hey, Sirius? Can I — can I ask you something?"

"Yeah?" Sirius's head shot up at that, looking at her nervously.

"Were you... you know... sad when you got sorted into Gryffindor?" she asked hesitantly.

"Oh..." said Sirius, relieved at her question. "I mean, don't get me wrong, I was thrilled. But at first I also dreaded it. With my family... imagine their reaction when they heard I wasn't sorted into Slytherin. It was dreadful."

Jenna opened her mouth to reply, but she was broken off when Mrs. Potter came downstairs, dragging James and Mr. Potter by their sleeves.

"Alright, let's go before these two pretentious idiots find another mirror to stare at." She rolled her eyes, taking a hold of the Floo Powder's bowl and handing it around.

One by one, they walked into the fireplace and as they cried out, "Diagon Alley!" they disappeared into the green flames and appeared seconds later into the Wizarding alley.

But as they looked around, it was less crowded than the previous years and no one seemed to be shopping alone, probably afraid to come upon danger.

"So, where should we go first?" asked Mrs. Potter, looking around. "Should we buy the books? Your robes are getting a bit old too, we should probably get you new ones —"

"Oh, no..." Sirius gulped and cut her off, his eyes fixed upon the other side of the alley, on two figures walking by.

When the others turned their heads as well, they figured out what he meant as they spotted Sirius's mother, Walburga Black, walking with Regulus by her side, who was carrying a sack of books.

"Just ignore her," said Mrs. Potter in a low voice, but Fleamont and James were obviously thinking otherwise as they glared at her direction.

Her attention caught by the nasty looks she was receiving, Walburga's head turned towards them, her eyes then narrowing down at her son.

With a bitter look on her face, she started walking forward and everyone tensed up at her sight.

"Well, well," she started grimly, staring blankly down at Sirius. "Look who's here. Ran away begging to the Potters, I see."

"Not ran away," Mrs. Potter said firmly, putting her hand on Sirius's shoulder as he looked down, his teeth gritting together. "He just came back to where he belonged in the first place."

Walburga's deadly eyes fell upon Mrs. Potter and sneered. "Don't fall for his acts. He'll betray you and run away just like he did with us, without even looking back at all you'd done for him."

"You'd had done nothing for me to look back at!" Sirius snapped back at her, panting heavily from fury.

"How dare you talk to me after what you did! You're a disgrace to the name of Black!" Walburga snarled. "You're nothing but a filthy blood-traitor!"

The words had barley left her mouth that in a blink of an eye, the four Potters had automatically took a hold of their wands and drew them out.

But it was Fleamont's wand which was raised the highest, pointing it at her face fiercely. "Watch your mouth, Walburga, he's a part of this family now," he said in a growl. "And no one, no one, can insult my family and get away with it. Do it again, and I'll make sure you regret it."

Walburga looked as if she was going to snap back at them, but looking around at the crowd who had stopped to look at the scene, she only smirked.

"Come, Regulus," she said and with one last nasty look at Sirius, she turned on her heels and left.

Regulus, who was bearing a hurt expression on his face, looked as if he was going to say something to his brother. But he just shook his head and walked on, following his mother away.

They all lowered their wands and placed them back in their pockets, Fleamont's glare still lingering on where Walburga had disappeared off to.

But at last with a heavy exhale, he turned around to face Sirius. "You okay, son?"

"I'm so sorry," Sirius muttered with a frown, his gaze still on the ground.

"Oh, you should be sorry," said Mr. Potter firmly. "I would be sorry too if I had her as my mother."

"You really shouldn't have done that for me," said Sirius, still avoiding their eyes.

"Of course we should have," said Mrs. Potter earnestly, giving him a smile as she squeezed his shoulder. "Potters stick together."

By those words, Sirius finally looked up, feeling a warm sensation in his heart which he had never felt before.

"Now how about some ice cream, eh?" said Mr. Potter happily, clapping his hands together in delight. "Do you think they've added any new flavors since last year?"

"Let's find out," said Mrs. Potter, holding her husband's hand and following him away.

James clapped a hand behind Sirius's shoulder and grinned at him encouragingly before walking after his parents.

"C'mon, then," said Jenna with a smile, taking a hold on Sirius's hand and dragging him along, both of them feeling a tingle where their hands touched.