Chapter 180

A chilling atmosphere fell upon the room as the figure walked inside in slow steps, his wand in his hands. Nobody even dared to look up at him and so they threw their glances down as Lord Voldemort sat by the table before the blazing fire, beside Lucius Malfoy.

      And so he turned to face Lucius, talking to him first in his high and cold voice, "Well?"

      "My Lord, our source tells us that most of the Order's families are still in hiding. Although we think we might have found some of their hideout placed," said Lucius, and then he continued with a sneer, "rather stupid of them not to have used a Fidelius Charm."

       Jenna's heart sank at those words. She suddenly felt it hard to breathe as she threw her gaze down. What if they had found James and Lily? How about Sirius? What if it was Marlene, Alice, Remus, or Peter?

       "There's other news as well, My Lord," said Snape, who seemed to be the only one to look Voldemort in the eye. "Rumor has it that the Potter girl is missing."

      Jenna's eyes slowly glanced up at Snape's direction, her stomach lurching and her heart throbbing against her chest. Voldemort said nothing and only looked up at Snape, as if silently telling him to go on.

       "We have no idea where she's gone, though we know that it's for Order business," Snape continued. "Sirius Black has also temporarily taken a step back from the Order for the time being."

     "Filthy blood-traitor. He's a shame to the name of Black." Bellatrix let out a dangerous growl at the mention of his name. "I would one day end his miserable life."

      "As much as I praise your blood lust, Bellatrix," Voldemort started in a high and chilling voice, "but now's not the time. We've got more important matters at hand."

      The Death Eaters around the table fell silent as Voldemort again got to his feet, pacing the hall in dangerously slow steps.

      "The Order of the Phoenix is interfering too much. They have to be taken out of the way," he said, as if he were talking about the most worthless matter. "Before, it wasn't much of a priority. But I've come to realize it's time to take them out, on by one, and all of them."

      Jenna was staring at a certain spot fixedly. She didn't dare to blink. She didn't dare to look up at him. She even had a hard time controlling her breathing as it had become more rapid, thinking about all the people she loved.

      Dumbledore had warned her on the last night not to have any contact with them throughout her time in Voldemort's presence, because it could've easily blew her cover. He had ordered her specifically not to try to send them warnings, no matter what. But it seemed impossible to Jenna to stay back and let Voldemort take out the people she loved one by one, like their lives were worth nothing to him.

      "Rodolphus," Voldemort called and the Death Eater winced.

      But nonetheless, he tried to say as firmly as possible, "Yes, my Lord?"

       "Dumbledore, Alastor Moody, and such wizards are untouchable at the moment. So for now, you, Rabastan, and Bellatrix will be looking after the Longbottoms. They're causing too much trouble for me, being Aurors and Order members. Find them, and kill them. You can take another one of my Death Eaters. Choose wisely." 

       Jenna had turned her hands into fists from under the table, her knuckles going white and sweat now dripping down her forehead. It was taking everything in her will power to keep herself from attacking them all.

      "Avery," Voldemort's called in his cold voice, now gazing into the fire. "I've heard the Potters have been keeping a low profile ever since they've had a child. But that doesn't mean they mustn't pay for all they've done. They're untouchable as long as they're in their house, but once they get out, you can pay them your respects. Take your men with you."

      "Yes, my Lord," Avery said quietly, bowing down his head.

      "Alecto, Amycus," Jenna's head shot up as Voldemort called upon them, though she still avoided his gaze. "Fabian and Gideon Prewett. Find them. Kill them. Take as many men as you wish. They won't be going down easily. And take Dolohov with you; he will prove useful."

      "Yes, my Lord," Amycus said eagerly, though Jenna couldn't even get herself to blink.

     How could she go on this mission? How could she go up against the people she cared about so deeply, who were like her family in the Order? But Dumbledore had warned her that this was going to happen. She just had to find a way out of it.

     "Dorcas Meadowes has been causing far too much trouble for me in the Order," said Voldemort with a fake regretful sigh. "I shall tend to her personally."

      With that, he walked back toward the table. The only sound that could be heard was the cracking of the fire, which was burning deeply at the end of the room.

       Voldemort's eyes then bore into Snape's as he said, "You're the most skilled one at Occlumency in this room, Severus. I want you to follow Dumbledore around. Don't be seen, and stay behind. Don't act foolishly, just see what he's up to when he's not playing Headmaster in that school of his."

      "Yes, my Lord." Snape nodded, staring back into his eyes fiercely yet coldly.

       "That would be all for tonight," Voldemort said in a silk voice, yet it was enough to make the others fear him all the same. "You can go."

      One by one, the Death Eaters hesitantly got to their feet and Jenna followed, feeling like her knees would give in any moment as she had become too weak by fear and her legs were slightly trembling.

      "Oh, and Travers," Voldemort called as he was staring into the fireplace, and so they all came to a sudden halt.

      "Yes, my Lord?" Travers whispered weakly.

      "Stay behind," said Voldemort, gazing coldly into the flames, "I have a special task for you."