Chapter 26- Established Lemare

Vesta snapped her fingers, gaining the attention of the crowds encircling the beast. “Clear the expanse.”

Alexei receded into the shadows to avoid recognition. The dense hordes dispersed gradually by the force of Vesta’s guards. Alexei scrutinized the scattering heads for Artemis, attempting to zoom in with his left eye before he bitterly recalled the absence of that ability.

“You saw them?” Alexei asked warily. Vesta nodded, and glanced at his helpless expression out of the corner of her eye.

“You can leave now, you know,” she whispered. “I have no more use for you.”

“Not without Cytheria,” Alexei countered. Actually, that wasn’t the only reason. He wanted to see if the dragon survived through the process. A question popped up into his mind. “Why didn’t anybody try to use the Bahamut’s power to raise Cornelia if she is so desperately missed?”

“I don’t miss her,” Vesta growled, but decided to respond to Alexei’s question. “It’s because Cornelia has no connection whatsoever with this dragon.”

“What do you mean?” Alexei asked, befuddled.

“The Bahamut was an accident, caused by Fortuna. I’m not sure of the details of the happening, but he used to be a harmless little monster a foot small. Beatrice and Fortuna then exiled thedragon, which they aptly named Bahamut, to the small island in the eastern waters.”

Vesta rolled her eyes at Alexei, who still stared at her with a baffled expression. “The Exedras twins are the ‘mistresses’ of the dragon. That is the connection between them. If a connection is present, the beast’s powers of one can be used to aid the other. How could you not know that?”

Alexei nodded. “Yes, I remember now. This connection has a name, does it not?”

Vesta raised her eyebrows in appreciation. “Yes. Lemare. There’s one between you and the Bahamut as well. You were his former vessel.”

The blonde-haired man was taken aback at Vesta’s astuteness and knowledge of the philosophical terms of Tytania. Maybe he had underestimated her, thinking her an incorrigible brat. But now, he frowned, she was going to do the proscribed; raise the Twins of Destruction.

“Why do you want to raise them?” Alexei murmured dazedly. Vesta turned her head sharply to the side, smiling. “They are my idols, and the true queens of Tytania. This land has forgotten its obligations and thanks to the two queens!”

“Beatrice and Fortuna destroyed Tytania, Vesta!” Alexei raised his voice, feeling for his sword. His eyes widened; he’d forgotten that he had been stripped of all his weapons. He could summon the sword imbued with the dragon’s strength, he thought with a twisted smirk. His smirk vanished when he remembered he no longer had access to the dragon’s strength anymore.

“Alexei,” Vesta’s voice had gone undoubtedly quieter and softer. “Don’t interfere. Take Cytheria, and leave.”

Alexei recoiled at Vesta’s tear-filled eyes.

“Don’t get involved,” she ordered forcefully, “This is my battle. If you want Euphrosyne to live with the curse forever, then you can kill me right here.”

“What are you talking about?” Fear had resurfaced in Alexei’s heart.

“You could make this easier, if you handed over Euphrosyne,” Vesta laughed weakly, “But I see that you’re never going to do that. So get away, and take your dead friends and that necromancer with you! I'm trying my..hardest..”

Alexei stood his ground in forbiddance. “I won’t leave until I get an explanation. I am still Alexei Isaura, and I have accomplished what Cornelia and Demetri couldn’t. I defeated the dragon!”

Vesta said coldly. “I’ll have you thrown into the dungeons if you don’t leave now.”

Alexei stood his ground.

“I’ll have Cytheria killed if you don’t leave with her right this instant,” Vesta threatened once more. Alexei noted the sheath of sweat over her forehead. She seemed to be in unbearable pain, and her right hand was constantly clenching and unclenching.

Alexei’s will faltered, and he raised his hands in surrender. Vesta searched her waist pocket, flinging a small, crystal to him. “Eleven cells down from yours.”

“This is the key?” Alexei handled the crystal carefully. Vesta hesitantly nodded, and vanished into the light, closing the door behind her. Alexei was engulfed in the icy, dark blue darkness of the dungeons. He quickly planned his path in his head, and proceeded.

A/N: Sorry for the HUGE delay. T_T Well, I hope you enjoyed~ Oh, and I know there are many unfilled gaps in the story, but all will be resolved, I promise. ^_^ Don't forget to vote~ :D