Chapter 35- Rescue

The dead trio watched Arisa in her deep slumber. She had fallen straight to sleep a few minutes after explaining her reason for coming, and about Alexei. The three were pleasantly surprised to know that Vesta had been telling the truth about Alexei’s safety. Guilt washed over all three of them for brushing off her pleas as lies.

Alexei was with Rosy, that much was clear. Even without the dragon, he would be quite powerful and a threat to any opponent. After all, he defeated Bahamut before gaining control of him. A feat that had been impossible for both Demetri and Cornelia had been accomplished by Alexei.

Artemis seemed to be at peace, but she quickly noticed Demetri’s shaky figure.

“Does that wound still hurt?” Artemis asked confusedly.

“Artemis, Rosy is not safe,” Demetri warned in a hesitant voice. “We must go.”

“But…” Artemis countered. “Alexei is with her. I’m sure she’s fine.”

“I heard something. A shadowy voice,” Demetri argued, pushing himself to his feet. He repeated the words that had come to him. Once re-united, the Devil will ascend once again. The only Devil’s tear will become history.

Artemis’s black eyes quickly changed expressions.

“You two depart now,” Allegra suggested quickly, “I will follow tomorrow morning in Arisa’s company.”

Artemis’s breaths came quickly, and suddenly she felt the weight of sheer worry upon her mind. Demetri gently held her by the arm, nodding in the direction Arisa had come. Artemis recollected herself, and the two prayed silently as they passed by the trees in a blur.

The painful reality was in the back of both their minds.

Their attempts were futile.

It was too late.

-

Alexei’s head hung low. He would bargain with the Devil, if possible.

“Let Euphrosyne live,” he pleaded, “Take my life in her place.”

“What of Irma?” The Devil questioned mockingly. “Am I to let her live?”

Alexei glared daggers into the crimson eyes that didn’t belong to Rosy. He already missed her beautiful, warm hazel ones. A look of horror passed over the Devil’s face.

“Tytania…” he began, “this is my world. Your Tytania was erased a long time ago.”

“I know,” Alexei responded, “But you wrongly stole our world from us. For compensation, we, the Tytanians, have transformed your world into our own.”

“Why are you speaking so proudly in the face of death?” Those crimson eyes flickered in anger.

“Tell me,” Alexei raised an eyebrow, “How did you manage to re-enter this world during Xerxes’s time?”

“I do not have time for this,” he growled, “Those wretched and immature princesses are approaching.”

Wretched and immature princesses? Alexei’s heart lightened slightly, although he should have grown more intimidated by the Devil’s fury. Beatrice and Fortuna Exedras were surely what the Devil related to. Another notion flickered through his mind, and he fingered his left waist pocket. A tiny object was caught in his fingers, and he retrieved it.

The crystal key Vesta had given him to free Cytheria was unblemished. The trillion facets reflected the golden chandelier’s light. The Devil watched him curiously, slowly closing the space between them. The crystal was undoubtedly a purity stone, as a white smoky cloud moved soundlessly within the stone. The cloud was impeccably white and pure.

They had all terribly misjudged Vesta, and Alexei scolded himself for not noticing sooner. The Devil’s face contorted. “Why is a royal purity stone in your filthy hands?”

“Tytania will fight,” Alexei smiled, pulling the silent Irma closer to him. “We will chase you back to where you came from.”

The Devil’s right palm outstretched. Alexei felt an invisible force push at his abdomen, and he flew backwards and into the marble wall. Pain shot through his skull and spine like needles, and he forced his eyes open to ensure Irma was safe. Sure enough, she lay on the ground, her tiny blonde head staring fearfully at the Devil.

“All three of you will perish today,” he growled. Alexei still had the purity stone in his clenched hand. He hastily stuffed it back into his waist pocket, and in one long stride closed the entire way he’d flown from the Devil’s attack. Clenching his fist, he closed in upon the Devil.

“You’re going to hurt me?” The Devil asked, flashing Rosy’s pained hazel eyes momentarily. Alexei did not hesitate, and placed a punch at the back of her skull.

The Devil leaped sideways, leaving Alexei to punch the air. Alexei, without being discouraged, attempted again. He would definitely stay in the Devil’s way- at least, until the two queens arrived.

“I know what you are planning,” the Devil smiled ominously. “I will wait for you all to be gathered here. Then you will watch Euphrosyne be completely shrouded by me, and another Ixeldra, as you named it, shall take place once more.”

“Whatever you say,” Alexei mocked, although secretly he was considerably shaken at the Devil’s sureness of his intentions.

The palace shook violently on its foundations. The Devil smirked. From the corner of the hall, two women of impeccable beauty revealed themselves.

“Welcome, Twins of Destruction,” the Devil bowed his head in teasing respect. Alexei felt his limbs numb. The two queens, Beatrice and Fortuna Exedras. A light glow outlined their figures, as if they were angels descended from heaven.

“Twins of Destruction, you call us?” The golden-haired beauty, Beatrice, spoke coldly.

“We shall be the cause of your ruin,” Her equally stunning sister warned loudly. “We shall clear our names in the minds of our people, and we shall save Euphrosyne Rains.”

That was all Alexei needed for reassurance that the Queens were on his side. He scooped up the awestruck Irma in his arms.

“Are you alright?” he whispered. Irma nodded slowly, her eyes distant. Alexei resolved to send the desolate eleven-year old back to her sister. She didn’t need to see all of this.

“Are you wounded, Alexei?” Beatrice asked kindly. Alexei shook his head, and watched the Devil go from surprised to pleased.

A/N: It's been nearly a month. O.O I apologize for this, and for my future infrequent uploads. My last term at school has begun, and now is the time for all my teachers to shower us with projects. T.T

Thanks for your support! :D