Chapter 55- Of Love and Hope

Rosy’s eyes bulged from their sockets as she inhaled sharply. Without warning, thick tears rolled down the sides of her face, followed by sobs that racked her entire figure. Oakser had died in the Devil’s simple aspiration to display the extent of his power. Her resolve to triumph over Him had strengthened. Looking at every possibility, Rosy pondered if this had been the Devil’s intention.

                “Rosy?” Allegra leaned over the bed, several curls escaping the unruly bun atop her head. Rosy threw herself into Allegra’s arm, sobbing into her shoulder without restraint. Allegra said nothing, but embraced the young girl and stroked her back in reassurance.

                “Is he really gone?” Rosy stuttered, barely decipherable. Allegra’s eyes darkened when she responded, “I believe so.”

                To this, Rosy’s tears concluded. Instead, intense fury flourished in the depths of her innocent yet worn hazel eyes, and she released heavy breaths as if to release some of the anger coursing through her veins. Allegra took Rosy’s hand, “Are you feeling alright?”

                She was referring to the extraction, Rosy figured before nodding. When the two exited the room hand-in-hand, they were greeted by a lone, troubled Artemis leaning against the white marble wall. Her fists were clenched, but instantly loosened when Rosy appeared in her vision.

                “Rosy,” Artemis hugged the girl affectionately, “How are you doing?”

                “I’m alright,” Rosy shrugged, watching two others discreetly from the corner of her eye. They were in serious conversation; Rosy recognised them without difficulty to be Alexei and Losse. Seeing Alexei warmed her heart. She cherished the godlike man, favouring him in particular over the rest- except her beloved Artemis.

                A sudden thought arrived to mind. She asked with uncertainty, “How is Demetri?”

                Artemis smiled amusedly, “He’ll recover. He’s dead already.” Rosy found herself unable to smile, though in other situations she would have; her heart was still torn from what she had witnessed in her nightmare. Allegra and Artemis exchanged pitying looks, with the latter placing a hand on the small of Rosy’s back. “The Queens want to see you, Rosy.”

                Rosy nodded, but her eyes flickered to Alexei. Her heart ached to experience the warmth of his arms and his wondrous scent in her despair. As if reading her mind, the sky blue eyes turned to her expectantly, greeting her with the smile she adored. She tore away at him, landing in his arms. He picked her up, cradling her. The burden on her heart receded, replaced by love. Alexei chuckled silently as her arms wound around his neck, pulling him closer.

                “I love you,” she said involuntarily, pecking his cheek. Alexei exhaled, “I love you too, Rosy.” He looked up, meeting Losse’s yearning jade orbs. Losse was beside himself in melancholy and anguish over being unable to protect Oakser from the terrible fate they had all seen earlier. Silence settled upon the five, including Artemis and Allegra. Within, they all prayed, prayed for Oakser’s happiness, his forgiveness, and that he forever rest in peace.

                -

                Rosy walked down the hallway with Alexei and Artemis to meet with the four Queens. Her thoughts drifted to Ariadne Ellery, Oakser’s elder sister. From what she had seen, they had been terribly close. Her heart tugged spasmodically in despondence. After everything ended, would she really have enough left to smile wholeheartedly? Even if not, she would not cease fighting. She would fight the monster that haunted Tytania, and that had haunted her and dragged her into misery and peril.