Chapter 3- Peculiar

Demetri pulled the hood of his velvet cloak over his head. A shadow fell over his face as he maneuvered his way through the bustling crowds of Regisse. Buildings lined both sides of the wide street for as far as the eye could see.

It was no wonder: Regisse was the largest city within the Golden State. Pyre Village was not far ahead, to Demetri's relief. He only hoped Artemis had not beaten him to it. Tytania consisted of three states: the Golden State, Magus of mages, and the Blood State.

Magus was the largest, newest and most heavily populated of the three while the Blood State was a stage where Tytania's history's greatest wars had taken place. Great criminals were often exiled to the Blood State, where food and water were scarce, and where cannibalistic creatures roamed freely. 

-

Artemis eyed the young girl carefully. Her silky mahogany hair waved gently past her shoulders, and her hazel eyes looked questioningly into hers. Artemis' lips upturned into a genuine smile.

"Euphrosyne," Artemis said quietly. "I must speak to your family elders at once."

"But why?" Euphrosyne whined. Artemis' eyes averted from the young girl's face; surely Euphrosyne's parents would understand why their child must be taken away. But Artemis did not think that this young girl's parents would want the 'notorious' Artemis Delara to be the one to protect Euphrosyne. How troublesome.

"All will be revealed in time, Euphrosyne." Artemis assured. "For now, I must speak to your family."

Euphrosyne bit her lower lip but nevertheless, nodded. They both stood up, and Artemis hissed in pain at the stiffness of her legs. Euphrosyne was silent as she led Artemis into the village. The buildings and houses were dulled and faded, and there was absolutely no greenery or liveliness whatsoever inside the village. 

But Pyre Village itself was surrounded by beautiful green hills and wildlife. It was peculiar, but expected. Animals were repelled by the large negative energy given off by the village, or specifically, Euphrosyne. Surely her parents have noticed this energy which was literally powerful enough to collapse the spirits of a city of cheerful people. The villagers were most probably accustomed to Euphrosyne's aura. 

"We're here," Euphrosyne mumbled. Artemis' emerald orbs turned sad. The Rains' family lived in a small shack. The wooden shack was grayish brown, and one story high. The roof's tiles were cracked and grimy. There were two rooms in this shack at most. Euphrosyne scurried up to the front door, and knocked. The door parted in a matter of seconds, sending off some dust, and revealing a young bright face of a woman.

"Oh, Euphrosyne!" The woman cried, noticing the large basket of baked goods in tow. Euphrosyne gave her the smallest of smiles.

"Mother," she began. "There's someone here to see you."

At once, the woman's face darkened and her eyes filled with worry. Euphrosyne waved her hand at Artemis, calling her forth. The woman's eyes widened as she looked Artemis head to toe.

"You..." She began.

Artemis held out her hand, and she forced a smile, "Artemis Delara."

"What do you want with our family?" The woman hissed. Euphrosyne scowled at her mother.

"Hugh!" The woman called for her husband desperately. Artemis heard frequent thuds, and Euphrosyne's mother disappeared into the shack, only to be replaced by a buff man, well-built and frowning. His charcoal eyes glared at Artemis, and he pulled Euphrosyne tightly to his side.

"Kindly leave," he said sternly. "We don't want anything to do with you."

He proceeded in shutting the door. Artemis rolled her eyes. "Sir Demetri is coming for your daughter."

The door stopped moving for a few seconds, and swung open.

"Come in," Euphrosyne's father said quietly.

-