Chapter 40- Persevere

“How did I die?” Demetri repeated Beatrice’s question in a sort of shaky voice. “Well, I don’t like to admit it, but a child killed me.” 

“A child? How did that happen?” Beatrice was genuinely surprised. Demetri furrowed his brow nervously. 

“I-I don’t know myself,” Demetri admitted quietly. “I was seated in the underground dungeon of this castle, and I heard a peculiar noise. I don’t recall anything beyond that point.” 

“Who was the child?” Fortuna inquired. 

“Oakser… Ellery,” Artemis responded in place of Demetri, whose eyes were unfocused. The Twins exchanged surprised glances before Beatrice repeated, “Oakser Ellery? Like Tira and Lirkus Ellery?” 

“I was told they had no children!” Fortuna exclaimed. “What was Oakser’s motive?” 

“We honestly have no idea,” Artemis bit her lower lip, “We did a little research on them, but found nothing at all proving Oakser or his sister Ariadne’s existence.” 

All of them fell into silence, with Rosy confusedly glancing from one adult to another. The silence was abruptly broken by the main entrance being flung open rather forcefully. 

“Cytheria!” Artemis exclaimed. Cytheria met Artemis’s relieved and pleased eyes. She smiled in return, although her full attention was set upon the two overwhelming figures of the Queens. Marklen had filled her in of their false labeling of ‘Twins of Destruction’, so she simply referred to them as the ‘Queens’ or the ‘Twins’. 

“Marklen,” Fortuna smiled, “How is everything progressing?” 

“Smoothly,” Marklen replied with an air of authority and confidence, “The back gardens are being emptied and the wounded are being treated to.” 

“Sorry that our pet caused you so much trouble,” Beatrice mocked. 

“Please don’t apologize, my Queen,” Marklen insisted, missing the hint of joke in Beatrice’s voice. She rolled her blue eyes, which then met with Cytheria’s. 

“My Queens,” Cytheria bowed respectfully, “I am Cytheria Terre.” 

“We have heard about you,” the Twins responded simultaneously and in complete synchronization. Cytheria found her heart beating quickly at the power that emanated off their skins. 

“Marklen, any word from Vesta?” the golden-haired queen inquired eagerly. Her face fell when Marklen shook his head. Artemis followed their exchange with curiosity, inquiring quickly where Vesta was. 

“She left to retrieve Cornelia,” Fortuna responded. Cornelia’s name sounded alien without ‘Queen’ to compliment it. But Artemis didn’t expect these Queens to address Cornelia highly. 

“How does she plan on doing that?” Demetri spoke, having recovered. “Euphrosyne here is the re-incarnation of Cornelia. She cannot be raised without Rosy there to trigger the ritual.” 

“Queen Vesta has planned far ahead,” Marklen assured, “She will bring back the Queen.” 

“She can’t foresee everything,” Artemis interjected rather enthusiastically. “Vesta is unpredictable.” 

“That may be so,” Cytheria was morose in her tone, “But I know now, that she’s kind. She can be hysterical and insane, and her ideas are simply unbelievable and impossible. But she’s the kindest and most dependable person you’ll ever come across.” 

Artemis hadn’t heard Cytheria talk in one go for so long. She shot her a sympathetic and understanding glance, and returned to her silence, all while keeping an arm tightly around Rosy’s shoulders.

Seeing all these powerful and trustworthy people surrounding her, Rosy was secretly delighted.

They would persevere. 

-

Alexei held Irma’s hand tightly in his as they stood in front of Driela’s Inn, the peculiar shelter that was shaped like a teapot. She was unwilling to let go. 

“Alexei,” she sobbed, “Please don’t return to Rosy anymore.” 

Alexei could not bear to see Irma cry so painfully, but her request was impossible for him to agree with. He sighed, patting her blonde head affectionately. She was younger than Rosy, and he only noticed that now. Her heart was weak and vulnerable, and she wished for nothing more than for Alexei to stay by her side.

“Please, Irma,” Alexei embraced the girl, “Forgive me.” 

Irma’s fingers clenched around the fabric of Alexei’s shirt. “No. You have to stay with me… I need you.” 

“Who needs me more?” Alexei asked quietly. His heart felt as if it was breaking into two, with one part being towed away forcefully and the other part being so painfully heavy and unchangeable. 

“Rosy has everyone,” Irma stated, “Demetri, her mother, Artemis, Allegra, Queens Beatrice and Fortuna, Cytheria, and maybe even Queen Vesta!” 

Alexei remained silent. 

“Isn’t that enough?” Irma demanded. “Can’t I have you?” 

“No, Irma,” Alexei untangled himself from her arms, “You can’t. Not right now.” 

“You’re so cold,” Irma’s eyes were relentless and depicted her pain more clearly than Alexei would have liked. 

“Rosy is precious to me, and she’s in danger,” Alexei attempted to explain, “You’re not in danger, Irma. It’s my obligation and my desire to protect Rosy. I want to see her smile without burden or care.” 

“So do I,” Irma admitted, “She’s suffering…” 

“She’s suffering beyond our comprehension,” Alexei felt his heart become lighter as Irma nodded at him. 

“Go, Alexei, and bring Rosy back,” Irma’s smile was forced, but wholly genuine. 

A/N: I didn't mean to divert the topic from Demetri's death. It just happened. >.<

I'll explain that later~ ^_^ Thank you so much for reading. :)