Chapter 11- Confusion

Alexei stared into the abstract mixture of every shade of purple in Rosy's eyes.

"Artemis?" Rosy looked around frantically, frowning in worry. "Where is she? I had this terrible dream that she..."

"It wasn't a dream," Alexei replied rather forcefully, still staring into her eyes in bewilderment.

"What is it?" Rosy asked angrily, noticing his intense stare.

"Your eyes..." Alexei replied quietly. Rosy scrunched up her nose and hopped off the bed towards the tiny bathroom at the corner. She gasped loudly as she inspected her eyes in the mirror.

"What is this?" Rosy demanded, blinking rapidly. Alexei shrugged in response. Rosy began rubbing her eyes harshly, causing tears to form at the corners. Her wet and long eyelashes shone against the dim light illuminating the room.

"Rosy," Alexei said. "Are you hungry?"

"No," Rosy shook her head. "But I'd like to eat the cake with Artemis!"

Her face was lit up with a huge smile which extended from ear to ear. Alexei's shoulders dropped, and he fought back the urge to shout that Artemis was actually dead.

"Rosy, Artemis is gone," Alexei said soothingly.

"No she isn't," Rosy denied helplessly. "Please don't joke-.."

"I'm not joking!" Alexei shouted. Rosy shrunk back in fear, and she sighed.

"I hope she's happier... now," Rosy smiled sadly. "Maybe she joined Allegra."

Alexei felt regret bubbling in his chest, and pulled the young girl into a tight embrace. Rosy lay limp in his arms, her eyes empty.

"It's very strange," Rosy laughed weakly. "How I am the possessor of the devil's tear and the re-incarnation of Cornelia."

-

Demetri hissed in disgust as he felt the warm wetness at the back of his head. His eyes pained when he opened them, and it took a few seconds for him to realize where he was; a dark cave. He had been in Lord Xerxes' abandoned palace the last he recalled. The cave was perfectly cubical except for a slanted ceiling. Old blood smeared every wall. Demetri stifled a gasp as he noticed many skeletons lying over the damp stone floor. The smell was a mixture of sweat, blood, and dung.

"You've woken up," an alluring woman's voice reverberated throughout the cave. It had a friendly tone to it, with a hint of caution. The young woman stood barefoot a meter from Demetri. She had white hair that fell over her chest and back, reaching just above her backside. Her skin was rosy and fair, and her eyes silver. Her silk white dress covered her entire figure, excluding her thin neck and collarbone.

"Who are you?" Demetri asked warily.

"My, how insulting," the woman frowned. "I feel neglected not being remembered by you of all people Demetri."

An ornament on her head caught his eye, and his breath hitched in his throat; a flawless diamond crown.

The current queen of Tytania, Queen Vesta.

"F-forgive me, your Highness," Demetri stuttered, instantly bending down respectfully.

"Better," Vesta smiled broadly. "You must be wondering how you got here."

"Y-yes..." Demetri nodded.

"You stopped seeing me a few months ago," Vesta twirled on her foot. "So I sent a few of my friends to search fer you. Who knew you would be in Lord Xerxes' home!"

"I'm sorry," Demetri apologized.

"Never mind," Vesta shook her head. "But why were you in his palace?"

"I go there quite often to pay my respects to Lord Xerxes," Demetri lied smoothly.

"Really, now?" Vesta's voice dripped with sarcasm. "Why would you respect such a man? He practically destroyed Tytania."

"I have my reasons," Demetri said tersely. Vesta grunted in annoyance.

"Let me tell you something that might interest you," Vesta drew loops in the air with her finger. "I have located Queen Cornelia."

Demetri's face lit up with a smile. "Really, your Excellency, that is quite a feat!"

"Unfortunately," Vesta raised her voice. "All mages of nobility are supposed to answer the queen's call. It is their duty. And you, Demetri, ignored my call more than once."

Demetri braced for the worst.

"You have been seized," Vesta revealed, "Queen Cornelia's sword is of no concern to you any longer. You are stripped of your duties and rank."

Demetri was dumbfounded. He finally realized that it was not a cave he was in; it was the palace's personal dungeon. Vesta smiled evilly, and stepped through the iron bars as if she were a ghost.

"Many great men have died in this particular cell," Vesta looked over her shoulder, "Be proud. And if you're wondering what I plan to do with Queen Cornelia's sword, I plan to destroy it."

She laughed quietly before she was out of sight.

Demetri stared after her, helpless. He covered his face with his hands, and breathed heavily. Everything was falling apart.