Chapter 56- Procession

Four days…

                Time stops for nothing.

                No matter what one prays for, the hands of the clock, the cycle of night and day will continue. Even if one dreads a coming event, time will grant them no mercy.

                It continues through thick and thin.

                It continues through life and death.

                Time is fatal and unpredictable; a four-letter word that could destroy, or create, everything. Kingdoms, people, hearts, memories…

                The happiness which accompanies pleasant memories is etched into time.

                The despair which follows horrid memories is embedded into the happiness, sometimes overlapping…

                A deep wound from a knife leaves a scar, but a deep kiss of a lover leaves only sensation.

                A sensation that lives only in a scattered memory, trying to evade the restraints of one’s mind.

                A scar that colours the skin forever, serving as an eternal reminder of the pain, never escaping.  

                However, it is the faith of a soul that determines what place time holds in their heart. It could be a breathtaking blue rose, or a deadly viper’s fang.

                A gift of time is a condemnation of endless possibilities.

                The clock ticked on.

                Their time had finally arrived.

                -

                The assembled group wore grave expressions, crowding around in a perfect circle. It had been four excruciating days of patience for Demetri’s complete recovery. The hall was dim, with an ominous yellow light glowing from a dripping candelabrum.

                From the left, Rosy scrutinised every person. Losse Armont’s lips were curved into a small, reassuring smile, though his eyes spoke volumes of fear and unwillingness. Then, Demetri Lyte’s hand was clasped around a golden casket, encasing the curse Rosy had been living with. The Devil’s Tear.

                The Four Queens appeared as magnificent as ever. Their expressive countenance gifted Rosy’s heart an almost invisible strand of hope, a golden light that she would continue to protect. Following them stood Alexei Isaura, Rosy’s treasured second father. He stood near Marklen and Cytheria, whose hands were clasped together. Allegra and Ariadne watched her, their eyes filled with sadness. On either side of her were Artemis and Arisa, her fatigued mother.

                Queen Cornelia inhaled, stepping forward to the glowing light. She ran her firm hand over the fire, shutting her eyes. “The plan is as follows. I hold the cursed mirror with me. When we arrive to his lair, the tear will automatically merge with his presence, and the curse on the mirror will be lifted because the tear no longer exists. While you all protect me, I will use my Lemare to bring Xerxes.”

                The Queen paused, uncertainty flickering across her strong features. “And then… he will restrain the Devil while we make our sacrifices.”

                “A mere five minutes for five sacrifices?” Alexei asked quietly. Queen Cornelia found no response. Instead, Queen Beatrice responded, “Fortuna and I have witnessed these sacrifices. Time will become slower…” Her voice trailed off, and for the first time ever, tears pricked the majestic queen’s blue eyes. “There will be enough time even for goodbyes.”

                Vesta was emotionless as she broke in. “The Four Queens and King Xerxes, the five sacrifices of the Devil’s third sealing. Proceed, Queen Cornelia.”

                A lightning of emotion passed between the trio of Allegra, Artemis and Demetri. Their facial expressions were almost equal, bracing a feeling Rosy could not comprehend. On cue, Alexei’s gaze locked with hers, the same bafflement apparent in his sky blue eyes.

                Cornelia cleared her throat, brushing the flame once more. A cross appeared on her forehead, pulsating with a midnight blue glow.

                Rosy’s ears filled with a deplorable burning sensation when a tiny crack appeared in the marble floor. It elongated with a cruel gradualness, and the pain skyrocketed with every centimetre. Artemis placed an arm around her shoulders, conveying a complete sense of safety into the young, terrified girl.

                The centre of the crack widened.

                Cornelia set a foot upon the point, letting her foot sink into the molten red portal. The red light crawled up her leg, enveloping her entire figure.

                She vanished.

                “Rosy,” Vesta whispered, “You should go next.”  Rosy whimpered, clasping her hands together in front of her lips. Taking a deep breath, she proceeded to step on the widened crack. Her foot lingered in the air, trembling.

                “I’ll come right after, love,” her mother reassured, gazing with worry at her. Rosy swallowed the lump, setting her foot with resolution onto the light. Her entire body numbed, and she tackled the urge to recoil when the light travelled up her body. As it approached her torso, her heart rate quickened.

                She shut her eyes.

                -

                He smiled.

                They had arrived. With an elegant movement, He stood from the shadowy throne. His hellish gaze passed over His contorted minions, who were distressed from the crack that shone on the molten ground.

                It was finally the climax of His game.

 A/N: Apologies for the length of this chapter. :c