Chapter 16- Another Trick

“We should go,” Demetri urged his sister and Artemis. “Vesta is closing in on Euphrosyne.”

Artemis’ smiling face instantly turned serious as she turned to face Demetri. “Already? I thought Cytheria stopped her…”

“She was stopped for only a day,” Demetri reminded in a low voice, shrinking away from the evil aura growing around Artemis. Allegra affectionately put her hand over Artemis’ shoulder, and her aura instantly died down.

“That ‘queen’ will not live to see another day,” Artemis spat, “If she touches my Rosy.”

Allegra and Demetri grinned at her determination, and the three disintegrated into black, ominous smoke.

-

Alexei bought his horse to an abrupt halt. Irma followed his lead, looking at him in question. Alexei shut his midnight blue eye. A current shot through his eyeball, and he slapped a hand over the eye in pain. He blinked a few times, and tried again. This time, he could sense an ominous presence in every direction, closing in on them.

He concentrated harder, and distinguished three of the auras from the other three. A total of six people were closing in on them. What was worse was that three of the auras were unidentifiable. A sheet of sweat covered his forehead, so he grudgingly wiped it with his sleeve. The dragon was becoming harder and harder to control. If he ever released it and Vesta failed to capture it, Bahamut would burn Tytania to the ground.

“Alexei!” Irma snapped angrily. “This is no time to be dreaming. What is it?”

“We cannot escape,” Alexei admitted curtly. He shook the sleeping Rosy, who had been pulled up in front of him on the horse and had her head resting gently over his arm. Her steady breathing hitched as she lifted her head from his arm. She looked too peaceful, Alexei noticed in despair. Her mahogany hair was messy around her shoulders, her hazel eyes were filled with confusion, and her lips were were pouted.

“Alexei!” Irma snapped again. Alexei gently patted Rosy’s hair, and prepared himself to reveal his plan.

“Rosy,” Alexei smiled, “I-..”

He was interrupted: Rosy’s appearing smile was twisted, and her shoulders shook slightly as she laughed to herself. Alexei instantly jumped off his horse, finding it suddenly hard to breathe. Irma’s face had gone white, as she stepped towards Alexei in slow and deliberate steps.

“We’re gonna die, aren’t we?” Rosy asked in a childish but menacing voice. Her laugh became louder, and her voice changed into one that Alexei could easily recognize. Irma’s figure was visibly shaking with fear as she caught sight of Rosy’s gleaming crimson eyes, and as a result, she leaned against a nearby tree for support, her eyes never leaving Rosy.

“Cornelia’s made everything so complicated,” the devil spoke through Rosy’s lips, “I underestimated her.”

Rosy clutched her head in her hands, and screamed. Her stiff shoulders relaxed as her eyes regained their warm hazel. Alexei cautiously stepped to Rosy, whose face was suddenly hidden in her hands. He placed a hand on her shoulder. Rosy looked up, and Alexei saw huge tears rolling down her cheeks.

“J-just kill me,” Rosy pleaded with her face in her hands again. “It’s unbearable.”

Alexei sighed. He looked over his shoulder at Irma, who had relaxed. Alexei unsheathed his sword, and held it at Rosy’s throat. His hand shook as his eyes filled with tears. This would release her spirit; it would be free. Rosy would not be restrained any longer. Why hadn’t he thought of simply killing her before? A dagger sliced the air and came into contact with Alexei’s shoulder. He dropped his sword, cutting Rosy slightly in the process. Irma was glaring daggers at him, sharper than the one she’d just thrown.