Chapter 14- Exedras

The boy stepped back. He could face any enemy and escape alive, but an enemy that was already dead? It was impossible. This woman looked strangely familiar to him. He had seen her face before, and he faintly recalled that her appearance had changed greatly from what she used to be.

"Just get it over with," another voice spoke from the shadows. This new voice belonged to a man, and was an alluring and attractive one. The woman grabbed the boy by his collar and threw him roughly against the wall. She blocked his sides with her arms, and smiled.

"Who are you?" She asked pleasantly. In any other case, the boy would have not said a word, but he could not imagine the conclusion of messing with a dead enemy.

"Oakser Ellery," the boy muttered in reply. "And yourself?"

The woman's shoulders shook as she bit her lip to hide her laughter. Then it hit him. This woman greatly resembled Artemis Delara, the infamous and notorious mage of Tytania. Her emerald eyes had gone a dull black, and her distinctive and beautiful maroon hair had turned a silent, ominous white.

"Looks like you've recognized me," Artemis smirked. "Pleased to meet you, troublemaker. I'm Artemis Delara."

"What h-happened to you?" Oakser asked fearfully.

"I died," Artemis shrugged, removing her arms from either side of him. "Then someone sweet happened to pass by and call my deceased spirit."

"You're the result of Tytanian necromancy," Oakser stared, wide-eyed.

"Enough of this idle talk!" the man who had spoken earlier stepped out of the shadows. Artemis stepped aside, as the man pierced Oakser's side with a thin dagger. Oakser gasped, but the man had pierced him right in the heart.

"Goodbye!" Artemis waved happily.

This man's manner to kill was impulsive and downright rude, Oakser thought as the last bits of life evaded him. He heard a short conversation before falling unconscious.

"What was his reason for this?" Artemis had asked. Oakser smiled, and whispered, "Amusement..."

"Shut up and die," the man muttered.

"That's rude, Demetri!" Artemis scolded in a childish voice. "Oh, and Oakser? Don't worry; we'll come back fer you after the trouble's passed, and then we'll talk about this interference you've presented!"

-

"Your Highness," Cytheria Terre whispered. "Shall we be off now?"

"Yes," Vesta stepped out, and Cytheria saw her wearing boots for the first time in her life. Vesta disliked footwear.

"Another soul has been lost in Magus," Vesta informed. The Queen could always tell when someone died; it was only natural. "That is where we shall find Euphrosyne."

"How are we travelling?" Cytheria asked. "It's too large a distance to teleport."

"Oh, silly," Vesta smiled. "I'm the Queen. No distance is too large for me. Now come, my dear Cytheria."

Vesta held her hand out for Cytheria's, who very hesitantly responded. "Yes..."

Vesta and Cytheria left only traces of silvery substance behind. Arriving in front of a small and rather peculiar inn, Vesta smiled. Her appearance had changed. She now had shoulder-length brown hair, and her skin was slightly darker. Her eyes' colour had remained the same. That was too much to alter, even for Vesta. Vesta leaped onto the windowsill of a room, and broke the glass window open. The crowds stared at her in surprise and shock.

"Hey, you! What are you doing?" One man shouted in protest. Vesta shot Cytheria a short look. Cytheria stepped in front of the man, and instantly, the whole crowd grew silent.

"Cytheria Terre," the man recognized. "What do you want here?"

"That disrespectful manner of speaking could cost you your life," Cytheria said in a bored voice. "And I am not obliged to answer your question."

The man shrunk away into the crowd as Cytheria followed Vesta's lead. She leaped gracefully high, and stepped onto the brown windowsill. She entered the room, and her heart raced at the repulsive look in Vesta's eyes. She scanned the room: it was empty.

Alexei Isaura anticipated their move, and left behind a small dagger with a note. Cytheria grabbed the note and read it. The handwriting of the note matched the one her and Vesta had received.

Someone was obviously playing games with them. Alexei would have known also.

"If I may ask," Cytheria spoke. "What do you plan to do with Alexei Isaura?"

"He controls the Bahamut, does he not?" Vesta smirked. "Submit him to my will, of course."

Cytheria rolled her eyes, and mentally sighed in exasperation. Sometimes she wished her Queen was a little more considerate of others than only herself.

"They're not far," Vesta whispered.

Cytheria shuddered at the thought, and Vesta laughed at her friend's reaction.

"Just kidding," Vesta confirmed. "But I do have some interesting things in mind."

"What might those be?"

"I shall use the Bahamut's power to raise Lady Fortuna," Vesta revealed quietly. "And Lady Beatrice."

Cytheria was now assured that her Queen was positively mad. Fortuna and Beatrice Exedras, the twins of destruction. Tytania's true leaders and  the cause of the devil's first ascent.

Her Queen was out to repeat that day, for reasons unknown and unbelievable to Cytheria.

Ixeldra.