Chapter 57- War II

Chapter 57- War II

                A butterfly flitted about Rosy’s head, escaping her sight every time she turned to inspect its wondrous patterns.

               Somehow, she understood that the evasive butterfly represented the happiness she so desperately wished to have.

                -

                The surrounding mountains looked as if they were washed in blood, rinsed to their very cores with the liquid that sustained life. There was no sky, only swirling red clouds which cluttered the top of the Underworld.

                Rosy held steadfast to her mother’s sweaty palm, disallowing the despondent atmosphere to penetrate her heart and mind. A hot, humid gust of wind blew in their direction, and they simultaneously covered their faces to avoid the melting heat.

                “The Underworld,” Demetri whispered, running a palm over his forehead. The heat consumed their spirit, draining them of any physical or magical energy. It was detrimental to their efforts. The Exedras Queens lifted their thick locks of hair, chopping them off with a flick of their daggers. The locks tumbled to the ground in bundles, lying motionless.

                “Let us proceed,” Queen Fortuna spoke. “We have not much time before we are consumed here.” Her sister nodded reassuringly at the silent, immobile group, lifting the skirts of their thin dresses and stepping forward.

                An unnatural crackle behind them sent waves of tremulous fear coursing through Rosy. Alarm apprehended the group as they gazed upon near fifty twisted black skeletons emerging from the ground. Their mouths clattered continuously, releasing moans of lament. 

                Alexei took charge, withdrawing two light blades with a sense of finality. The creatures approached them, their speed almost invisible. Alexei drew a defensive stance, letting a breath of preparation escape his lips. In less than a moment, the contorted skeletons came to a halt, less than a meter from the guarded Alexei. Bloody eyeballs appeared in their sockets, lolling about repugnantly as they fell on all fours.

                Losse drew forward beside Alexei, taking a similar stand. It was Alexei who lunged forward, crossing his blades as he dove into the collective force of Him.

                “Hurry!” He heard the urgent voice of Queen Cornelia. The creatures evaded his blades, surrounding him in a well-defined circle. Losse plunged his sword into the black skull of a creature, throwing it aside roughly. He entered the circle.

                A snarl erupted from three skeletons, almost in complete unison. They leaped high into the air, descending face first, with blood trickling down their darkened skulls. Alexei caught on quickly, letting his gaze travel to the silent group.

                Sure enough, four skeletons had chosen to target them while Alexei and Losse were diverted. But he was unaffected; their force was powerful enough to overtake the Devil’s controlled minions. He turned his attention back to the descending demon, lifting his blade at his figure. Opposite to his expectations, it was heavier than it appeared. Although he had impaled the creature, it fell limply upon him.

                Losse threw his sword with ferocity at the three figures encompassing him, decapitating two while slicing off the arm of the last. 

                Snarling in agony, they wobbled slightly before becoming immobile.

               “Enough of this,” Alexei muttered, shutting his eyes. A blinding light crackled above his head, flickering like thunder. Beams emerged from the core, striking the remaining creatures with deadly precision. The nature of the attack gave them little time to scream.