Chapter 49- Identity

Artemis covered her face with the duvet, biting her lower lip in anxiety. King Xerxes and the four Queens were planning to become the sacrifices for the next sealing of the Devil. In all honesty, Artemis clearly understood their choice.

                What bothered her was that they would be quickly forgotten; no one in Tytania truly knew of the Devil’s imminent threat. The ones who did know were trapped on the Devil’s chessboard, with the exclusion of young Irma.

                It was impossible for her to sleep when she was already dead. The entire night, Artemis had tossed and turned on the queen-sized bed, fingering the pillows, curling her toes, and chewing on her lip.

                Soon, rays of sunlight poured through the clear windows, filling the room with a sense of bright hope. Artemis huffily lifted herself off the bed, and rubbed her palms against her face.

                She couldn’t feel any warmth.

                With a disappointed and disheartened sigh, she turned the brass knob and stepped into the hallway.

                -

                Vesta led Arisa and Losse inside an unfurnished, windowless chamber. The three seated themselves circularly.

                “This won’t require too much effort,” Vesta assured quietly, noticing the distress in Arisa’s demeanor. Contrarily, Losse’s jaw was tightly set in confidence.

                “Where is she?” He questioned. Vesta donned a silk teal robe, and pulled her hair up with a ribbon of similar colour. “Inside the seventh Colis.”

                “Seventh?” Arisa furrowed her brow, “That is too vague.”

                “The smallest Colis,” the queen specified. It would be easier if they had been given names to identify them. Losse interrupted, “I understand.”

                “You do?” Arisa asked confusedly. Losse nodded with a chuckle. He became serious in seconds, “Shall I?”

                Vesta concurred, but not wholeheartedly. Her silver eyes conveyed hesitance to trust the mysterious man. However, the look of duty on his flawless face reassured her.

                “I’ll require both of you to leave,” he smirked. “And a lot of space.”

                “Her body is trapped as well as her soul,” Vesta informed, “Can you do it?”

                Losse raised a brow. “Of course.”

                -

                Without intention, Artemis came to a halt in front of Losse’s room. From inside, she could sense Allegra’s presence. Why had she been in Losse’s room? As if on cue, Allegra’s voice made her jolt, “Come in, Artemis.”

                She entered, arriving to her best friend covering her nude body- as Artemis guessed- with the silk blanket.

                “Allegra, you-,” Artemis began incredulously. Allegra shot her a needle sharp look. She sighed, patting the empty space beside her for Artemis to sit.

                “Why did you do it?” Artemis inquired coldly. Allegra blinked at her tone, “Is it a problem?”

                Allegra’s bare arm showed the glowing horn of Losse’s control over her. Artemis herself bore the horn below her left breast.