Chapter 52- Extraction

Thus was the next step, Demetri cleared his mind. He was ‘granted’ the responsibility of extracting the tear from with Rosy.  It perplexed him greatly, how this method remained undiscovered when it was almost too simple to imagine.

                A being with a Lemare was capable of extracting the Devil’s Tear? It all seemed too coincidental. He felt as if something was being hidden, waiting to be shined upon by the light of realisation.

                But the Four Queens had ordered him to prepare the dark room for the ritual as soon as possible. Demetri’s hands quivered with hesitance as he laid the wooden board against the damp blue wall. This was the same dungeon cell he had died in.

                His throat constricted slightly when he felt a presence behind him; it was mocking him. He turned around in expectance.

                His killer leaned against the wall with a smile. Demetri shook his head, returning the gesture good-heartedly. “Here to kill me again?”

                Oakser laughed, “Na, just watching. Is there something wrong?”

                Demetri’s eyes flickered. The boy was perceptive. “Why do you ask?”

                The boy shrugged, straightening his posture and throwing his head back. His hair was a mixture of dark brown and golden. “You’re hesitating, Lyte.”

                Demetri did not answer, and instead evaded the question with another, “How old are you, Oakser?”

                “Quite young,” Oakser arched a brow. “Do you doubt the Queens’ words, Lyte?”

                Demetri smiled; the boy was indeed, quick-witted. “Yes.”

                “Why?”

                “Because it all fits too perfectly.”

                “I agree. But their word is valid. The extraction can actually take place if a person with a Lemare carries it out.”

                Demetri smiled in bemusement. “How do I know your word is valid?”

                Oakser chuckled, continuing, “Of course, the queens did not mention that the person who carries it out must be someone attached or close to Euphrosyne. She must have the connection of heart.”

                Demetri raised his eyebrows; he had no knowledge of that. “That does add up. Rosy’s soul would only part for someone she trusted, and remain squeezed against someone she did not.”

                Oakser smiled, turning to leave, “Good luck, Lyte.”

                -

                Queen Cornelia Uney paced the length of the hallway, fiddling with her fingers. To the two who watched over her, Cytheria and Marklen, this appeared incredulous. The magnificent queen gave the air of a normal, worried woman.

                They both felt a deep love for Cornelia. She had managed to gain their loyalty in less than a day. Her charm and wit were irresistible and her devotion completely wholehearted.

                “Queen, please relax,” there was a hint of laughter in Marklen’s voice. Cornelia halted, nodding, “Yes, yes. I should relax. Relax, Cornelia. Relax.”