Chapter 51- The Queen's Entrance

• Dedicated to Niya-chan, who so strongly wanted to see the Queen :)

                Alexei watched as every face involved in the ‘game’ raced inside the room, enthusiasm and relief obvious in the fluidity of their movement. He leaned against the wall, his heart beating rapidly. The marble wall’s coolness penetrated his thin tunic, sending chills racing down his back.

                Artemis and Allegra lingered in the far corner of the oval shaped hall. His light blue eyes scanned the rest of the room, landing on Cytheria’s relaxed figure. She tugged on Marklen’s sleeve, whispering to him with twinkling excitement.

                Marklen’s tall, muscular figure towered over Cytheria, but his soft features gave away the delicateness of his heart.

                Alexei felt a smile creep onto his lips. The way Marklen’s deep brown eyes followed Cytheria’s every motion reassured him, rather than spark jealousy. Cytheria was Alexei’s fiancée, after all.

                When he sensed the powerful aura nearing the gathered crowd, Alexei quickly abandoned his irrelevant thoughts.

                In complete cadence, the entire body knelt. Alexei stared at the ground, hearing the footsteps of all four Queens echoing in the domed palace hall.

                Alexei subtly lifted his gaze. First, Vesta appeared around the arched doorway leading directly into the gathering. She staggered, moving aside to allow the Exedras twins passage.

                Behind them, the twirling midnight blue hair flashed before Cornelia’s actual figure. Her almond eyes conveyed wisdom and keenness. Everyone unconsciously held their breath. Alexei heard sudden quick breathing across from him, and was tempted to search for its source.

                Instead, he was unable to tear his gaze from the excessive grace and elegance that Queen Cornelia radiated. He was sure the others experienced it as well.

                “Rise,” her deep, strength-imbued voice whizzed through the still air like a flash of thunder. Heads rose in complete obedience and silence.

                Unexpectedly, Cornelia clicked her tongue. “You all are so stiff.”

                Alexei felt the tension decrease by a miniscule percentage. His own chest was lighter. A thought struck him. Where was Rosy?

                As if Cornelia scanned his thoughts, she penetrated the still crowd, opening a path to the wide-eyed, stressed Rosy.

                Cornelia’s amaranthine eyes softened. “Beautiful little Euphrosyne.”

                Rosy stepped backwards, bumping into Arisa. Cornelia flicked her thick hair over her shoulders, bending to level her eyes with Rosy.

                “Come, Euphrosyne,” she extended her arms. “Come to me.”

                Rosy’s tiny frame shook in fear. “N-no.”

                Cornelia’s long fingers stretched towards Rosy’s face. The young girl quickly shut her eyes as the queen’s fingers gently caressed her cheek. Her tender touch calmed Rosy; the trembling gradually decreased to nothing.

                “It’s a pleasure to finally meet you,” Cornelia whispered, pushing herself forward. Rosy blinked, speechless.

                “My reincarnation,” the queen smiled ambiguously, “Is so innocently beautiful.”