Chapter 44- Uncovered

Vesta inhaled the icy air with a sigh. Her silver eyes scanned the area with curiosity. After her scrupulous researching, she had discovered the enclosed areas under the ground that were constantly kept cool. These areas occurred under the Golden State, each one a few hundred meters apart. After ravaging through more than six, she was losing hope.

            The areas resembled the inside of a cave, covered with rich icicles that gracefully protruded from the ceiling. The floor slanted dangerously, and the walls were smooth and icy white.

            These cool regions, Colises, underneath the surface were built over thousands of years ago when the surface was heated because of the sun. Overtime, the sun’s intensity lessened, and the citizens returned to the surface. The consistent coldness of these Colises were attained by elemental magic; Tytania’s oldest elemental magic. The magic stayed in effect, even after it was unnecessary, and to this day, these are the only remains of old Tytania’s powerful magic.

            No one, currently, was capable of such long-lasting and powerful magic. There existed a family, the Ellery, who were the sole retainers of the magic. They were soon wiped out.

            Vesta ran a finger across the tallest icicle, marveling at the chill that trotted down her spine. She released her breath, venturing into the opening. Her bare feet were sore from walking so frequently on uneven and cold ground. Vesta had an unnatural dislike toward footwear, but was considering buying a pair of shoes before delving into the next Colis.

            She turned sharply; her keen ears had picked up on quick breathing. She changed her direction, and cautiously tip-toed towards the source. To her relief, she saw nothing. Before she turned around, a flicker in the ground caught her eye. She bent down, brushing the dirt from the flicker.

            When her hand made contact with a colder surface than her feet, her spirits rose. Vesta eagerly dropped to her knees, and brushed all the dust manually rather than using a simple spell to erase it. When she gazed upon the flawlessly cut crystal block, her eyes filled with tears of joy.

            “Queen Cornelia,” she whispered, placing her cheek against the clear crystal, “Thank goodness.”

            Vesta lifted herself off the ground, whispering incantations to protect the beauty lying encased in front of her. Cornelia’s body was tilted, and her button mouth slightly open. Her features were strong and sharp, especially her straight nose.

            Her hair was midnight blue, and hung in curls around her body frame. Every strand was defined and frozen in its place.

            “Please wait until you are called, Cornelia,” Vesta bowed her head in respect, and turned to leave. Her mission was complete; now, she could leave everything behind, without any regrets.

            -

            The molten ground hissed as a crack appeared over it. Flames crackled around the enclosed space, where a black, shadowy, but magnificent throne tore out of the dark red floor.

           “Is it time?” The figure seated upon the throne glanced at the crack, which showed a yellow light. In front of him, a ring of fire hung in the air. The flames were orange and sparked constantly. In the ring, he could see everything.

            That very moment, he could see Queen Vesta uncovering Queen Cornelia’s case. The ground had cracked as a direct reaction to this event. The flames raged, turning red.

-

            Rosy sat with a frown in between Queen Fortuna and Beatrice. They had ‘requested’ the younger girl to sit still while they examined her.

            “Anytime now,” Beatrice nodded expectantly.

            Rosy found all this ridiculous; it was as if they were waiting for Rosy to explode. As if on cue, Rosy felt a sharp pain strain her heart, and doubled over in response. Fortuna sighed. “It’s done.”

            Rosy felt as if she was being ripped apart. Her joints were twisting themselves, her heart was being pulled uncomfortably, her mind could not focus, and both her eyes saw the world in two different colors.

            Her right eye gazed upon the world in red, while her left vision was light purple. However, the purple shade was gradually subsiding, while the red one was intensifying. Her right arm throbbed, wanting to reach out and clutch at something; anything at all. Her left limbs were falling loosely, like she had no more control over them. Very faintly, she could hear Beatrice’s and Fortuna’s footsteps and voices.

            These queens are not on your side, Rosy, the familiar, ominous male voice murmured in her mind, causing her head to fall backwards in fear and surrender. He was here to distort her sense of trust and make her life miserable all over again.

            Distrust. Rosy, you don’t trust anyone.

            “I do,” Rosy forced, “I trust everyone who has saved me.”

            They haven’t saved you. They have caused you to suffer more.

            “Maybe so, but at least they haven’t let me die.”

            I won’t let you die. I will make you suffer. I will occupy your body for the rest of your useless life, Euphrosyne Rains.

            Rosy almost smirked; he sounded furious. “I accept your challenge, Sir Devil.”

            I am your possessor, and you are absolutely nothing.

            “I am Sir Devil’s vessel, thus I am something.”

            He chuckled. You are impure, as of the moment you enter my world. You will be impure, and scarred.

            “You’re Sir Devil. Need I say more?”

            An invisible, hot dagger plunged itself into Rosy’s back, to which she barely responded. The only sign that she had felt it was the gritting of her teeth and the creasing of her forehead. Her red vision cleared completely, and her purple vision had subsided to nothingness.

            She had lost the title as the reincarnation of Cornelia, and now, her body felt as if actually belonged more to herself.

            You have done well, Euphrosyne Rains. You’re stronger now.  A soft, unimaginably unique, and unidentifiable voice spoke. It was male.

            “Who are you?”

            King Xerxes.

            “Why are you here?”

            To express my gratitude.

            A smile crept upon Rosy’s face. It was amusing to her how she communicated to more than four legendary people, all in her head and without intention or effort.

            “Are you alright?” Fortuna’s dark hair appeared in her clear vision.

            “Yes,” Rosy replied with a careless grin. Fortuna’s eyes warmed, and Rosy was pulled into an embrace by the Queen.

            “It’s wonderful to see you smile so truly,” Fortuna murmured affectionately, “We’ll rescue you, Rosy, no matter what we must go through.”

           A/N: Thanks for reading~ As usual. ^_^