❸❷

★★★

★★★

When I woke up the next morning, I noticed it was too early for any of the others to be up with me. We had slept in the Wreck that night, dodging cops as best we could while sleeping on whatever was available in the restaurant. 

I stood up and walked over to where the screened-in wall stopped me. Everyone looked peaceful when I turned around. I was always the first on up, so I noticed small moments like these. 

Kie always looked slightly angry in her sleep, though, but she couldn't help that I guess. 

Pope had been in a weird mood since yesterday after trying to go get Sarah, but while overtaken by sleep, looked perfectly fine. 

JJ was a nice sleeper too, he looked at ease despite everything happening constantly around him. 

I, personally, had been getting no sleep lately, so I did something very out of character and went back to bed. Well, bed is a strong word. I went over to my row of chairs and tried to get any amount of sleep extra. 

As I laid there, I felt myself drifting off, but about ten minutes later, I heard someone else stand up and wake themselves up a little with a light slap to the face. 

I recognized them as JJ when I opened an eye and peeked. 

I didn't get up though, and he didn't notice I was awake. After a little while, Pope was up too. He gave a certain pointed look at a sleeping Kie, and I was nothing less than confused about that one. 

JJ was leaning against the door and flicking his lighter over and over again, a nervous tick he often demonstrated. 

"He's pinched for sure, man," He said upon hearing sirens in the distance, and Pope sighed. 

"No, they wouldn't still be patrolling if they caught him," Pope said, and I stood up at that point. There was no chance anyone would believe that I was sleeping through this whole conversation. 

"Let's hope," JJ said, and I noticed Kie getting up too. 

"You know, we were in that car. They're probably looking for us too," Kie said, and I sat up again at that point, my stomach in knots from the anxiety of the topic being discussed. 

"I believe that," I said, everyone turning their heads to me as they realized I was awake. 

"Well, if we're gonna be outlaws, we might as well help John B.," Pope declared, and I sighed. "How do we outwit the cops?" Kie asked, and I shrugged. 

"We've done it before, what's so different about this time?" I asked, and Kie scoffed, "Oh, I don't know, maybe because they have the intent to kill this time. We're not just being scolded for being on private property or trespassing after dark, we're talking about an actual murder allegation."