❸❹

★★★

★★★

Insanity.

All hell broke loose.

John B. and Sarah were gone, the storm had gotten them, and the boat flipped way out in the water. They were dead, and it was all Ward and Rafe Cameron's fault. 

Obviously, I was angry. 

Everyone's parents had met up at the tent on the side of the island that was conducting the manhunt for John B.

Well, all except for JJ's dad. 

"What in God's name have you gotten yourself into?" I heard the shrill voice of Helen Kessinger bark from behind me. JJ was talking to the Heywards but turned around quickly upon hearing her. 

"Nothing, I was just helping my friends," I said, crossing my arms and not making direct eye contact with her. "What? You're not telling me something, so what is it? Spit it out," She snapped, and I sighed. 

"I talked to Rose," I said, and in less than two seconds, Helen's face changed from pale and sickly to bright red and fuming. 

"You... what?" She said, advancing towards me slightly. 

"I deserved to know that my mom was alive, how dare you keep that information from me!" I retorted, getting more and more worked up.

"I kept it from you to keep you safe!" 

My eyes went wider than they ever had. 

Did she...

Did she really say that?

My body began to shake as my anger levels rose higher and higher and higher. 

"To keep me safe?" I said in a low tone. 

JJ stepped in now, standing in front of me and looking into my eyes to try to stop me from making a scene right now. 

"JJ, move."

"No, I know what you're gonna do. It's not worth it, seriously," JJ said, and I took a few deep breaths. 

"JJ-" I started, closing my eyes for a second and then opening them. 

"Move," I advised him once again. 

He recognized something that had changed within me after seeing Helen, and he took a step back. "Ok," He confirmed, and I looked at Helen again.

"What, now you got the Maybank boy as your bodyguard? Can't take care of yourself, is that it?"

That was it, that was all it took for me to finally snap. 

I reached out and grabbed her arm, dragging her out of the tent with all my strength. I pulled her away from the crowd and into an area that was relatively private. "Shut the fuck up," I said as she started to say something.