❸❼

★★★

★★★

They gave me a week to sort everything out. At the end of that week and all the processing, I got emancipation, and I was at a loss for words when I got the confirmation letter delivered to the Chateau. Our house... for now anyway. 

Helen was brought in for the court date and seeing as she had no common sense whatsoever, she showed up drunk. That was more than enough for everyone to see what I meant by "unfit guardian". 

Since I was now technically the owner of the home, I could come and go as I pleased, and so could everyone else. Kie and Pope were finally jailbroken and could get away from their houses and parents when they needed to. 

JJ was considering emancipation for a while, but he was turning 18 soon enough, so he thought of holding off. I also knew that no matter what his father had put him through, JJ had something deep in his guarded heart that felt for him. 

I understood that because Luke was his father after all, but I think the reason I was so done with Helen was that she was only my aunt. We were already so disconnected and this was the very last straw for us. 

Now that all the craziness had died down a little bit and summer was once again meaningless, we had nothing to do except what we knew. We went out on the boat and tooled around for a little bit, Pope behind the wheel and the rest of us sitting around. 

Kie and I were in our bathing suits tanning and JJ was scratching something into his lighter. He was obsessed with that thing, I swear. I got up after about twenty minutes and reached for the sunscreen. I needed at least 15 SPF so I didn't fuck myself over and burn horribly. 

It was a spray, and I almost thoroughly covered myself, asking Kie to get my back. She covered me and moved my bikini bottom ever so slightly to cover the rest of me. When I realized where she was looking, I knew why I heard a small gasp escape her. 

"What's this?" She asked, poking my hipbone. I looked back, looking at the small tattoo I had there and I chuckled. "Oh, my stick and poke," I said lightly, not even realizing they had never seen it. It was a small pentagram I stuck into my hip at fifteen and restuck in the beginning of this summer. 

"Is that the Satanism star thing?" Kie asked, a little confused about why I had that on me, but I laughed at her assumption. "Wait, no way, let me see," JJ said and Pope protested that he also wanted to see but couldn't because he was driving. 

"No, it's the Wiccan pentagram," I said laughing at their skepticism. They would think I was a Satan worshipper. "You're Wiccan?" Kie asked, and I shrugged. 

"Not technically but I share some of their beliefs. I can't call myself Wiccan because I'm not one hundred percent that through and though, you know?" I explained.