★★★

★★★

After my heart dropped nearly through my asshole, I turned quickly in shock. To my surprise, JJ stood there with a surfboard with him as well. I looked down at it, then back up to his face that was looking back at me without emotion on it. "Wha- how are you here?" I asked, confused not just how he was here, but why?

"You were the only one awake and I saw you take your board," He said, his mouth going from a flat line to a boisterous smile in less than a second. I was confused, to say the least, but I was far too excited to surf to let anyone sway my decision to dive in.

I shrugged and gestured to his board, "How long you been surfing?"

"Since I was a kid, it's my favorite thing to do, to be honest," He answered, and I smiled at his response. He had acted so cold and uninviting since I met him today, I honestly thought he didn't like me. "I'm not insane for thinking you hated me, right?" I blurted, I was not known for my subtlety.

After an uncomfortable silence for a minute that was all too long, JJ sighed, running his fingers through his hair. "I don't hate you, I just-" He said, trailing off a little.

I looked at him, confusion lacing my features, and shook my head while furrowing my brow. "What?" I pushed to get an answer out of him.

"I'm gonna be honest, I don't trust you," He said. This surprised me, but I liked his honesty. "I didn't expect you to trust me, nobody asked you to trust me. I literally met you today, I would never expect trust to be what you were feeling towards me," I commented. I tended to have a short temper sometimes, but I kept my head.

I felt anger bubbling up, but I pushed it right back down. I couldn't lose it over something so minor and especially not with someone who already doesn't seem to have the best view of me. "So why follow me?" I asked, asking the only question genuinely confusing me.

"I don't know," He said simply, not answering any questions I had. I mentally rolled my eyes but didn't do it in person, I just felt like he was a hot-headed person that would be easily offended by something like that. I decided not to piss him off and just roll with it, I was just ready to surf.

"Fine, let's go," I said, and he nodded. He put his board down for a second so he could pull his shirt over his head. I looked away instantly, I wouldn't want him gawking at me when I was undressing, so I gave him the same courtesy. He was good looking, I couldn't lie to myself, but that was hardly the point right now.

He tossed his shirt next to the pile of my clothes and I continued to look away, observing the waves as they crashed on the shore one by one. "Ready?" I asked, and he nodded. I couldn't help but smile as we ran down to the water together, jumping into the waves with our boards in our arms.

We paddled out and waited for a good wave, any wave, and while we waited I felt cool water graze my face. I turned in JJ's direction and saw him laughing as I realized he had splashed me. "Oh, that's how you wanna play?" I asked, splashing him back, a little more forcefully than his splash. We were both laughing for a bit, splashing each other back and forth, but it didn't last long.