❶❶

★★★

★★★

Redfield Lighthouse. John Routledge's favorite place and the place John B. thought to investigate first. If we were going to find out the truth about the mysterious compass, we would have to start with the engraving on it.

When we arrived, John B. and Kie went in, leaving Pope, JJ, and I as lookout by the van. They went inside and soon all three of us became bored. Pope went into the van, laying on the floor and starting to solve a rubik's cube. JJ and I stayed outside of the van, awkwardly left alone again yet again.

I didn't know whether to start a conversation or to stay quiet, but it seemed like JJ had the same internal turmoil of figuring that out too. We sat in silence for a bit, noticing that Pope had passed out, falling asleep in the van. I stifled a laugh at this but stayed quiet so I wouldn't wake him up.

JJ and I leaned against the van for a little longer until the silence was broken. "You can trust me," JJ said simply. I looked over at him, my features softening at his words. "What?" I asked.

"I didn't say it before but I won't tell anyone. You can trust me, I know it's personal," He said, and I knew exactly what he was talking about. I decided right then and there that he was someone I had faith in. I believed what he said with my whole heart, and I wanted him to know the trust went both ways.

"You can tell me anything too, JJ," I said, saying his name so as to personalize what I was saying. I wanted him to know I was also trustworthy. "Thanks," He said, meeting my eyes.

For a second, I felt it. That spark that's talked about in movies and books. I realized in that Kie had been right. I wanted to slap myself in the face to shake myself out of the trance he had put me in, but I couldn't. I just continued to look at him, but he didn't look away either.

What broke our eye contact was police siren, actually. We whipped our heads around to see what was happening, and before I knew it, JJ had grabbed my arm, pulling me into the van. He hopped in the front and drove off before I could protest.

"Wait! What about Kie and John B.?" I asked, breathless as the endeavor. "They can go the other way. When the sirens first came, Pope had woken up, yelling at us to leave as well, so I didn't really have any other choice. We drove back to the Chateau when JJ had decided we were in the clear.

When we got back, I collapsed onto the couch. There was so much going on now, so much that was going wrong, I was tired. "So, he was wrong about the lighthouse," JJ said, sitting next to me, and I nodded. "Yeah, that was a dead-end, huh?" I agreed, and he nodded.

"I wonder if-" I started, but cut myself off.

"Heyward said something that's kind of stuck with me. He said I should check on Helen," I said, completing my thought. "You're not seriously thinking of going back there, are you?" JJ asked in disbelief, but I just shrugged. "I don't know, I just think that if he said that, maybe something's wrong. Everyone on the Cut knows about Helen and me, they know about her drinking, so maybe something happened to get Heyward worried," I said.