❶❽

★★★

★★★

The next morning, I woke up. That was all I needed to keep me going. I woke up, and that was enough. I was still tangled in JJ's arms and I was comfortable. I could've just gone back to sleep, but I decided I needed some time for myself this morning.

I snaked my way out of his grip and snuck over to my dresser. I picked out a plain black bikini and gray shorts to put over my bottoms half. I looked back at the sleeping boy, making sure he didn't wake up as I left, and I shut my door behind me quietly.

It was about 9 o'clock when I looked at a nearby watch. I grabbed an orange and a bottle of water as I headed to the door, and I walked to where my board was up against the wall outside. I tucked it under my arm and began to walk to my surf spot.

It took me twenty minutes, but when I arrived, it was worth it. I put my board down in the sand and sat on top of it, peeling my orange and eating it to give myself even a little sustenance. When I was finished with it, I discarded the peel, throwing it into a nearby bush.

It was biodegradable, it's fine. When I got up, I was ready to surf. I got out there, the waves calming me. I used surfing to de-stress, and it was about time I got back out on the water by myself. Don't get me wrong, I loved my friends, but I was in desperate need of some me-time.

The water crept up my arms and soothed me. I had salt-water in my veins, I always have. For as long as I could remember, the ocean was home to me. The water was my happy place, and it was somewhere I could call my own at times. I didn't always have a home with Helen, so I resorted to the water to claim me as its own.

When I was done surfing, it was about that time to go teach the surf lesson again. I made my way back to the Chateau and took the van to Figure 8, not going back inside the house. I didn't know if JJ or Pope were awake, but I didn't want to have to address the panic attack with Pope yet. I needed time to think of some excuse as to why I had the attack, to begin with.

The lesson was short. I supervised the group surfing, sensing the tension between Sarah and Topper, and noticing Rafe hadn't shown up. I took it as a blessing though, it wasn't like I wanted him there. We finished up and I went back home, seeing JJ on the hammock outside. "Where'd you go?" He asked casually, and I told him about the lesson, leaving out my surfing alone.

"Well, we've got a little... news," He said with a weird look on his face. "Ooh, very mysterious. What's the scoop?" I asked, jumping next to him in the hammock and throwing my hair up into a ponytail.

"John B. is little orphan Annie no longer. Ward Cameron offered to be his new legal guardian," JJ said, and I was stunned. "What?" I said, slightly slack-jawed. "It's weird right?" He asked and I nodded. "Super weird," I said, messing with the rings on my fingers. I twirled them around but suddenly felt like I shouldn't be wearing them.