③⓪

★★★

★★★

So... the whole "feeling safe" thing didn't last long.

We listened to the radio that morning in the car and the reports were not good. 

"Good news for residents of the Outer Banks. Dominion Power says their underwater transmission line, which will restore power to 90% of the area, should be functional within 24 hours," The reporter started. 

Who the fuck cares about that right now? 

"And still, no arrest in the shooting death of Sheriff Susan Peterkin."

Whatever they were saying influenced the whole island.

"The state police have issued a statement regarding a local person of interest, a juvenile from-" 

"Just-" I started exasperatedly, reaching over and shutting off the radio. 

"Let's game this out. Maybe you guys can help, being the smart ones at all, but... who are the cops gonna believe? Ward Cameron or us?" JJ spitballed, and I already felt the stress that came with the statement. 

"So the accuser is a bigshot developer, kind of lord of the island, got the governer on speed-dial kind of person, and the accused... is John B., who is pretty much a homeless 16-year-old boy at the moment," He said. 

"Thanks," John B. said blankly. 

"Shit," Pope said, realizing our fate. 

"Those are... not exactly ideal circumstances," I said, sighing. 

"Look, man. Yucatan, alright? I'm saying that's the only option. What other option do you have?" 

"JJ, enough with the Mexico bullshit, alright? Sarah's gonna bail me out," John B. argued, clearly getting annoyed by the deprecating and fate-accepting attitudes we had. 

"She did witness the whole thing," Kie said, backing up John B.'s plan. 

"Thank you."

"And she's gonna snitch on her brother?" Pope said, and JJ took another hit of the blunt he had somehow lit. I didn't even notice, and usually, I would partake, but now I just didn't feel like it. 

It would only cloud my judgment, so I decided to just lay off for a little bit. 

"We've gotta get you off the island," JJ said, and Pope mentioned the ferry plan again. 

When more sirens approached, I pushed JJ and Pope's heads down as quickly as I could, "Guys, just get down."

"Sarah's not a Pogue, John B.," Pope said. 

JJ nodded, "Yeah, you can't stay here man."

We decided to just set off to the ferry and made our way there with Pope driving because somehow he convinced us of that. 

I interjected, wanting to drive, but they still said a high Pope was a safer bet than me, which was offensive, but probably true.