❶❻

★★★

★★★

When I got to Kie's house, we were immediately wrapped up in getting ready for the night's event, and I had no time to tell her anything that had happened to me in the past few hours. She knew JJ was out of jail, and that was all I told her to make sure she didn't freak out.

I knew it was kind of pointless to rant about my bickering with John B. and JJ, so I left well enough alone. I wanted to have a nice night at this point, and going with Kie to this crazy up-scale party would be just what I needed to get my mind off of everything.

Kie and her mom had a little back and forth about the morals of the party, Kie's mom eventually winning, and then we went to pick out a dress for me once my hair and makeup were up to her mom's standards, little white flowers adorning either side of my head. The dress they found for me was a cream-colored flowy thing that had a tight upper half and breezy mesh bottom half.

It looked insanely expensive, too expensive for someone like me to wear. Maybe JJ was right, I didn't fit in with the girls that would look at this dress and find it normal to own something as elegant as it. I was used to shorts and tank tops, there was no way in hell at any point tonight I would get used to this.

They pulled out some heels too, little white heels that looked like I'd have to sell John B.'s van if I ever actually wanted to afford them. I tried not to look too shocked and received the garment from Kie's mom, going into the bathroom and putting it on. I looked at myself in the mirror and sighed. I never would've thought I'd see myself like this.

"Let me see!" Kie playfully whined from outside of her bathroom, and I snapped out of my self-induced trance for a second, leaving the room. I walked over to Kie, giving a tiny curtsy, and she smiled widely.

"Oh my god! You look so good. JJ's gonna drool over this, I swear," She said, and my smile faltered slightly. Her mom walked in again, praising how I looked and urging us to get going. "We're gonna be late girls, I'll meet you in the car," She said with a hurried smile.

We looked at each other and sighed. It was going to be a long night, we could already tell. I remembered that, of course, the Camerons were going to be there. Kie had told me Ward Cameron was being honored tonight for something I didn't care enough to find out about, and that meant his kids would be coming too.

I'd bump into Rafe at some point that night, I was predicting it, but I decided to be the bigger person. I wouldn't let him scare me anyway, he didn't hold that power over me anymore, and I was determined to keep it that way. We got in the car and drove off to the Island Club in a hurry, her mom was eager to please.