❷❻

★★★

★★★

Ward had stolen the gold. Swiped it right from under our noses with his construction crew. It was infuriating. Truly infuriating.

I felt as if I could've figured out that was Ward's plan if I spoke to Rose last night, but I couldn't hold myself accountable. I was physically dragged away from the situation, so it's not like I could've gone through with it anyway.

I found it incredibly difficult to bear watching John B.'s life fall apart at the seams. Everything he had worked for went to shit after Ward went out of his way to ruin our plan. It was lost on me how he found out, but my suspicions pointed to little miss perfect from Ward's side of the island.

"It had to be Sarah. Who the hell else could it possibly be?" I asked JJ, and he shrugged as he continued making himself a sandwich. I hoisted myself onto the counter, sitting there while I waited for him to finish up.

"I don't know, but I thought Sarah was okay. I guess John B. trusted her a little too much," JJ reasoned and I nodded. "I hope it's not true, I hope she didn't grass us up," I said honestly. John B. had too much going on in his life, I hoped she didn't betray him.

When he was done and I took a bite of whatever he made and we headed outside. Pope had his big scholarship interview today and had gone back home last night. I knew Heyward wouldn't be happy about the fact that he had been gone for days.

There was nothing to do anymore. There was no more grand treasure hunt for us to embark on, the treasure had already been hunted. There was nothing left to do but go back to exactly what we had been doing before all of this Royal Merchant stuff.

It made me sad, honestly, because almost the entirety of the summer was wasted. I wanted to help John B., but this was all a waste of our time. I knew what I had to do, but I knew JJ would be against it.

I had a bad idea. One person would know exactly where to find her and how to get into the house.

Rafe.

I know, I KNOW, it was a terrible idea.

But it was all I could do.

"Hey, I'm gonna go surfing," I said, and JJ nodded. I knew he was tired this morning, it was obvious, so I knew he wouldn't want to come. "I can come..." He started slowly, and I shook my head.

"It's okay, you can chill here. I don't mind, I like 'me time'," I said with as convincing of a smile as I could muster. He smiled back and I leaned down to kiss him quickly, but when I pulled away fast, he looked at me with a confused face.