❷❶

★★★

★★★

When we got far enough away from the Crain house we decided to head to the beach for a little while. We were still all enduring an adrenaline rush like no other so we decided we needed something that would calm us down.

We went to sit in the sand and chill, but as soon as we were all there, John B. opened his big mouth. "So, can we all address the elephant in the room?" He said, and all eyes went on JJ and I. "When did this happen?" Kie asked with a smirk, and I shook my head.

"I don't know, but that's not exactly how you guys were supposed to find out," I said, and JJ scratches the back of his head nervously. "Momentary lapse in judgement for me, personally," He joked. I could feel a blush creeping up on my cheeks, but I pushed it away.

I made eye contact with Sarah and she laughed with me, but I realized I had something important to tell her. "While we're all talking, Sarah there's something I need to tell you," I said. She looked at me with confusion lacing her face, and I took a deep breath.

It was time to come clean, after all, and she deserved this information as much as I did. "This is kind of awkward for me, but Rose... your stepmom? She's my birth mother," I said. Sarah didn't look shocked, she looked amused. A light laugh escaped her and her eyes remained soft and humorous.

"No, Sarah, she's not joking," John B. said, and Sarah's features became a lot harder at that point. "What?" She asked, almost in disbelief, and I nodded. "I thought she died, that's what my aunt told me. I've lived with my aunt most of my life, by the way," I said. She nodded, her face expressionless, and I reached for the nape of my neck to unclasp the locket.

I opened it and looked at the picture by myself for a second before showing it to Sarah. Unfortunately, this would change her perspective on Rose for good, and I would have to tell her all I knew. Which, for the record, wasn't much anyway. I gave it to Kie to pass to Sarah, and when it got to her, her eyes were still and trained on the tiny picture.

"I don't know what to say," She admitted honestly. I nodded, understanding, I wouldn't know what to say either. "So, wait, what?" She asked, still in partial shock. "Okay, I've lived with my aunt, Helen Kessinger, for a majority of my life, and I was under the impression that my parents were dead. I thought they were. My dad, he's on the left. Skip Kessinger, I don't know if he's alive or not but I know for sure that Rose is alive, she's living in your house. She's... uh, she's your stepmom," I said, the sentence paining me slightly.

"She left me, I guess. I don't know what else to say because I don't really know anything else. All I know is that I'm kind of pissed, but I'll get over it," I said sadly with a simple shrug. I didn't want or need their pity, honestly, but I wasn't good at faking a brave face sometimes. Usually I was, but today I simply couldn't.