Chapter 29: The Ball

The churning in my gut has only gotten worse with each step to the ballroom, which I have yet to step foot in. It feels as if we are walking to our dooms, but I don't know why.

No. Everything will be fine.

What? Christopher asks worriedly as he abruptly pauses in his tracks, making me stumble from the unexpected stop.

Nothing.

You sounded worried.

I don't know what you're- Shit. I spoke through the bond, didn't I? I sigh.

Yes. Now, what's wrong? He asks as his grip on my arm tightens. I'm suddenly aware of the prying eyes of the servants, they might be spies for Edward, so I cringe to give the illusion that the action hurts me.

His eyes go to my arm and he lets go of me abruptly, his eyes flash with concern, I give him a look that he somehow understands, therefore, he grabs my back and pushes me towards him with enough force that I lose my balance.

I'm not hurting you right?

No.

Good.

"You have no choice, princess, you're going to the ball." He snarls in my face, baring teeth.

I have a bad feeling about it, a gut feeling that something bad will happen. I said with a strong voice through the bond, although in reality I lowered my head in 'submission', acting like a weak damsel that they expect me to be.

If we don't go, we'll arise suspicion, besides, we have to act possessive of each other the way we'll be after we've completed the ritual. He said with tenderness, a huge contrast to the way he was growling and pushing me forcefully through the corridor.

Our kids would be good liars. I giggled to myself.

Make sure you watch your back.

Of course, Princess. I knew him well enough that I was fairly sure he was hiding a smirk.

Finally, we arrived at the ballroom.

The doors were open, revealing the revelers and the demons dancing, drinking, and singing. I was about to walk in when Chris, yet again, forcefully held me back. "Wait." He whispered in my ear; I could practically feel his amusement at my not knowing how these things work.

Suddenly, the ballroom quieted, everyone's attention was on us. The gazes of women, and some men, on Christopher, I couldn't blame them. The gazes of men, and a few women, were on me. "Why are they staring at us like that?" I asked nervously, as I noticed their hungry gazes.

"Because, your beauty is unlike anything they've ever seen, they can't help but stare." I felt something affectionate caress my mind.

"I'm sure everyone with eyes could say the same about you." I gave him a lazy smile, forgetting our roles. I instantly remembered what we had to do and how we had to act. It seems my mate had the same thought, since instantly his flirty smile was replaced by a scowl directed to anyone who dared keep their eyes on me for too long.

"Their royal Highnesses, Prince Christopher Satan and Amelie Satan!" The announcer, who I just now noticed announced to the guests, although his eyes didn't leave me.

Big mistake.

I could still feel his stare on my behind as we walked away and to the center of the room, but before I could do anything remotely violent, a choking sound came from behind us. The man, along with a few others, were in the air holding on to their necks as if their lives depended on it, which it did.