Chapter 7: The others

Tristan's POV

I left Chris' apartment less angry then I was at first. By the end of my five-minute stay, he resembled who he used to be. Even if it only lasted 2 minutes.

It hurts to see him like this, I knew he had a mate, but he never expressed concern for her, he never seemed to care, he claimed that he was happy with Rosalind.

I guess not.

My guess is that when she turned 18 and he met her, their bond locked into place.

I've read about the soulmate gift, and how horrible it can be. Chris received it because he was marrying Rosalind.

I don't even know her name.

The only thing he's ever mentioned about her is that she's the most beautiful girl he's ever seen.

I think that's the gift talking, because I can contest to that.

I can't get Amelie Diamandis out of my head. She has this weird otherworldly beauty to her. I just feel drawn to her, and I don't care.

I'm not going to tell Chris about her because he won't care, or he'll steal her from me.

He always has.

People have been drawn to his magical beauty since we've been kids. He would always be the one that girls giggled about in the schoolyard, to claim I wasn't jealous would be a lie.

He never noticed.

In high school it became more evident, he would be walking in the halls and girls would literally jump in front of him to express their undying love for him, even if he's never talked to or acknowledged them before.

He'd look at them with disinterest, would roll his eyes and move out of their way.

Secondary ones* would drool when he passed by, secondary twos* would try to act older; secondary threes* would shoot their shot with the boy one year older than them; sec fours* would write love letters. And Sec 5s* would act younger, it was just mayhem. Girls falling at the feet of someone who'd never care.

No one ever noticed the tall lanky brunet next to him, and it hurt.

He grew more and more annoyed until he met Rosie. One girl who wasn't head over heels in love with him. It was like the typical high school romance. The player goes for the girl that was invisible.

Except that she knew exactly what she was doing. You could see the evil gleam in her eyes. Chris never noticed, probably glad to find someone genuine, even though I tried to warn him.

I never did trust her. I still don't, but no one needs to know that.

That's how we met Logan; he was Rosie's best friend. I was skeptical of him; he was too nice to Rosie and a jerk to Chris. I thought -and still do-think that he's in love with her.

Now they're plotting against his mate, having only a brief memory of what she looks like engulfed by fire.

But that's Chris' fault, he broke up with her and she still won't take no for an answer. They know I'm immune to their magic so they can't force me to do anything against Christopher.

I do feel bad for him, I don't know what goes on in a mating bond, but I do know that if they're apart for too long, they start to go insane.

My stomach grumbles, which snaps me out of my daze as I enter the sandwich shop. I look around for Amelie and see that she's nowhere to be found. She stood me up, on something that we came to together.

This is a whole new level of rejection. I roll my eyes just thinking about it. At least Chris wasn't involved this time, I sigh to myself.

I order my sandwich and head back to the car; I drive back to the school in complete and utter silence.