Battle (Part 2.2)

Not edited

Clary Pov

Jace shoved me to the side, his own weapon clashing with Jonathon's, ensuring that I didn't become Headless Jack. Or headless Clary in my case.

Jace pushed into Jonathon's personal space, trying to find an opening unsuccessfully. Jonathon retaliated with his own sword, aiming for Jace's leg. Jace stopped it in time, thankfully not becoming a pirate. Get it? Cause he'd only have one leg? Never mind. Forget it.

Jace managed to push forward and graze Jonathon's arm. It barely did anything, not even stopping his blows. But it seemed to have given him a push as after that, he was pushing harder and harder against Jace. Jace held his own fairly well, even managing to throw in a few comments about Aline. From what I heard, she wasn't that good in bed.

His comments, however, only seemed to infuriate Jonathon and he began pushing harder, even insulting me. I was tempted to go stab him in the back, but I didn't play dirty. If I was ever going to defeat my brother, it would be honestly, not backhanded moves.

I began moving away, distancing myself from them rather easily. I planned on getting away from the two vicious fighters, intent on getting to Valentine without distracting Jace. My plan came to a halt when I heard a yell rip from Jace's throat.

I whipped around, my eyes popping open when I saw Jace on his knees, his sword a few feet away from him. Jonathon was smirking down evilly at him, his eyes holding no mercy as he held his sword to Jace's throat. "You can't beat me Golden Boy. I don't even get why you bothered trying."

Jace smirked. "That's what you think."

Jonathon look at him in confusion before shaking his head in annoyance. "Stop trying to play mind games with, kid."

Everything happened in slow-motion. Jonathon's sword hissed through the air, blood already coating its blade. Jace's eyes were blank as he stared at it come his way. I lunged towards them, pushing myself to get to Jace in time.

I failed.

I watched helplessly as the blade struck his throat, crimson seeping out of the gash.

"Jace!" I screamed, barrelling into Jonathon, wrenching the sword out of his hand.

Fueled by pure adrenaline, I used his shock to my advantage. I slammed the blade toward his throat. He caught the blade, red seeping out of his closed fists. Wrenching the blade out of his hands and inevitably drawing more blood, I kicked his legs out from under him.

He fell back, his head striking rocks. Dazed, he stared at me in bewilderment as I brought the sword down to his chest.

"Clary!" He screamed, just before my sword could penetrate his body.

I hesitated, I don't know why. Maybe it was because it was the first time he had called me back, or maybe it was because I had never actually killed a Shadowhunter in my entire life.

That was all the time he needed. Kneeing me in the stomach, he flipped us over, our roles now reversed. The sword clattered out of my hand as Jonathon threw his first punch at me. Hissing, I blocked my face my crossing my arms in front of me.

Laughing, he kneed me in my stomach. I gasped, my hands automatically leaving my face as I tried to regain my breath.

And that's when he began to beat me to death. Pinning my arms down, he repeatedly punched me in the face, not even pausing when he felt me nose let out a sickening crunch. Instead of looking disgusted, he smiled when he saw the blood coating his knuckles and my face, even going as far as to lick it off his hands.

"You're dead, bitch," he said, eyes glistening madly.

Seemingly out of nowhere, a dagger appeared in his hand. Giving me a bloody smile, he whispered, "Say bye, bitch."

And then he brought the dagger down to my throat, only to pause when there was only an inch of difference between the blade my throat.

I stared at him, bewildered, blinking the blood out of my eyes. Face frozen in the same expression, he slumped forward, his face hitting the ground beside my head, and the dagger clattering out of his head.

I gaped as I saw Jace where Jonathon had once been, looking like an avenging angel with his blond hair looking nothing less than a halo in the dimming sunlight.

"Jace... How?" The words died in my throat as I saw his lopsided smirk.

"Did you really think that bastard could take me down?" When he saw my speechless state, he shook his head in mock disappointment. "That's sad, Clary. You're lack of faith wounds me."

"Jace..." I trailed off again.

He sighed, his eyes glinting mischievously. But I could see, I could see that he was trying to hide his pain. It was an impossible task, what with the gash running along his throat. "Clary, I know my name is great, but I really don't think this is the time to be worshipping me."

I couldn't help it. I rolled my eyes. "Shut-" I was cut off when Jace broke into a series of coughs, his mouth covered with his hand. It came back covered with blood.

I scrambled up, kicking Jonathon off me and ignoring the burning pain in my face and ribs. I held Jace's face as I examined his throat. The cut wasn't fatal, but it was still pretty deep. It had surprisingly missed his throat, but I wasn't complaining.

He batted my hands off his face, flipping our roles. He now gripped my face, somehow managing to keep a firm yet gentle hold on me. "Stop worrying." He made me look directly into his eyes. "You need to go to Valentine. Forget about me. I'll find you. I need to take care of something here, and then I'll be there."

"But-" He cut me off with a rough kiss, his cracked lips rubbing against my own chapped ones.

Pulling away, he pushed me in the direction we had seen Valentine go in. "Go!"

Resisting, I whipped out me stele, quickly drawing a rune on him, hoping it would be enough for the mean time. "Don't die on me," I whispered, before whipping around and running down the path.

"Couldn't, even if I wanted to."

Somehow, those words were enough to make the pain in my face bearable. They didn't make it disappear, but they certainly decreased it.

But I knew what could make the pain completely disappear: three simple yet unbelievably complicated words.

~~~~

I stumbled onto sand, nearly face planting as I tried to brush the twigs off me. Cursing under my breath, I glanced up, my eyes zoning in on a man standing before Lake Lyn.

His wide build made him nearly impossible to miss, his fair hair glistening in the rising sun. I didn't even need to see him to recognize him. His formidable aura was enough for me.

"Hello, Clarissa. How nice of you to join me."

It was my father.

__________________________________

Absolutely no reason for the delay. I had started this a while ago, just never finished it. By the way, this story should be finishing in a few chapters.

Plz vote and comment.

Not edited, nor is it read over, as usual.