Battle (Part 2.4)

Sorry for the delay. We'll finish this thing eventually.

Not edited

Clary Pov

I shot up with a yelp, and, like the idiot I was, tripped over my own feet and crashed to the ground once again.

My eyes were squeezed shut as I crab-walked back, droplets of freezing water pelting my face. I crashed into another body, the person's feet slamming into my lower back and resulting in them practically catapulting into my lap.

I rapidly blinked the water out of my eyes as I heard a groan. Looking down, I saw Jace basically sitting in my lap, clutching his head.

"How did you even manage that?" I asked, my voice hoarse.

He continued to rub his temples. "I'm possessed by the God of Clumsiness. How else?" 

I gently pushed him off, being mindful of his wounds. "No need to be s-"

I was cut off my a yelp. My head snapped up and my eyes darted to the two figures by the water, one within in it and the other in front of it. One was cowering before the other, his left wrist bent at an awkward angle. The Angel, despite having risen from the lake, was dry while Valentine looked as if he had taken an impromptu bath.

Raziel towered over Valentine, a sneer marring his otherwise beautiful features. "Why have you summoned me, Nephilim?" His eyes glinted dangerously. "Could you not leave me in peace?"

His voice sent shivers down my back, and goosebumps rose on my arms to kiss the dark sky. It elicited complicated feelings from within me. On one hand, I found his voice to be soothing. On the other, it felt as if someone was shoving buckets of ice cold water down my shirt.

"I'm afraid I cannot apologize for that, Glorious One," Valentine said, his voice becoming increasingly eager. "It would be a lie as I desperately require your help."

"Oh?" A single blonde eyebrow flew up. "And what is it that you oh so desperately require?" 

Valentine inhaled. "You created the Nephilim you created were a great race. They worked to rid the world of Demons, but unfortunately, corruption among their ranks has resulted in allying themselves with Downworlders." He paused as if for emphasis. "I need your help and guidance to restore the Nephilim to their former glory and cleanse the world of the Downworlders and Demons."

The Angel looked much more amused than the situation called for. "Guidance? Are you sure about that?"

Valentine looked horrified. It seemed as if he couldn't believe someone had dared to question his faith in Heaven. "Of course! I have sacrificed my wife, my children, everyone!" He exclaimed. "I have only dreamt to make this world pure once again."

"That may be your dream, Valentine, but there is another motive. You have a selfish reason, one that has corrupted your mind." Raziel eyes filled with contempt. "One that motivated you into torturing my brother Ithuriel. You only want glory."

Valentine blanched. "But-"

The Angel's eyes were filled with a cool calmness, and that was what made him seem even more dangerous. He waved his hand and suddenly, it seemed as if Valentine had lost his voice, his mouth opening and closing uselessly,

Raziel turned to Jace and I, observing our immobile states. "Clarissa," he said, his voice maintaining the same rigid coolness. Somehow, though, there was a difference. If I hadn't known better, I would have thought it was a note of respect. "I will leave him in your hands. You will be the one to end his reign."

I could do nothing but nod numbly, feeling as if I was under Valentine's spell once again.

A malicious glint returned in his eyes when he turned back to Valentine. "You shaped her into what she is today, and it will be your own creation that will result in your destruction."

The water rippled. Raziel met her eyes and with that same collectedness, gave her one final nod. And then he was gone in a flash of bright light and rippling water.

Something fell in front of me and glinted in the darkness. I frowned at it. It resembled a sword.

I reached for it and picked it up, my hands automatically clasping around the cool hilt. The sword was large, bigger than normal. I ran my fingers over the  hilt, feeling the cursive indentations. Due to the lack of light, I couldn't clearly make out what it said, but I was sure it wasn't in English.

A growl drew my attention. A furious Valentine was charging at me, his own sword drawn. 

I rose, clenching my fists around the handle to get a feel of it. It fit my hand perfectly. I stepped in front of Jace who seemed to be impaired, clutching his head and moaning to himself.

I would protect him, even if he claimed he didn't need protecting.

Valentine drew closer, and I could make out his expression clearly, His mouth was open, and his eyes and teeth almost seemed to glow in the dark. He was practically swinging his sword in the air as he neared me.

"I'll kill you!" He screamed, and I could've sworn I saw spit fly. 

And then he was a sword's length away from me.

"Bring it," I whispered, bringing my own sword up to meet his mid-clash.

Sparks flew, and I knew, I knew that only one of us would survive.

And I swore that he would not be that one. 

I would die if I had to.

___________________________

I am so tempted to delete this story. I seriously hate it.

Not edited, nor is it read over, as usual.