Mysterious Super Mechanic

Chapter 22

(following anime episode 80)

          The noise from the garage of Poppo Time was reduced to the point, where not even Zola could complain anymore, so she was quite satisfied with how the guys started listening her advice and being silent, not making a lot of mess in the past few weeks, but the truth is, with Crow doing his deliveries and Jack and Yusei being absent most of the time, Hanako was the only one hanging out in the garage, so there was no space to make a huge mess like before. She was neat and the garage was always tidy when she was around, but the only thing she was able to mess up was her own clothes and her face... Just like today! She was finalising her new engine, testing the parts and checking if everything was in its place, before she returns the engine back into her runner to finish this once and for all! But even though everything seemed so perfect, there was this one fact that was making her lose her hope day by day, because only one engine wasn't enough. She had three more to go!

"It's four more to go if Aki is going to participate, too", Hanako murmured into her chin, removing a sweat from her forehead, leaving a trace of grease on her skin, after the glove she was wearing traced her forehead, "Or I could just give her my own engine... It's not like I'm going to need it anyway!"

          "Need help with something?" Her eyes widened, when she heard Yusei's voice near her, so she turned around, seeing him taking off his helmet, hoping he didn't hear her silly murmuring.

"Yusei", she murmured, "I didn't hear you coming".

          "Yeah, I turned off the engine", he explained, approaching Hanako with a smile, "Is there something wrong with the new engine?" He asked, looking at Hanako's wonderful creation, so he started wondering why she had such disgruntled look on her face.

"It's not", she sighed, feeling like giving up, "I just don't", she tried to find excuses, but suddenly felt so worn out, she decided to be honest with Yusei, knowing he will be able to understand, "I wish I could help you more!"

          "But you already helped us more than I expected you will", he smiled brightly, looking into her eyes filled with disappointment, like she was ready to give up on this any second now.

"I know, but still", she tried to protest, because she wasn't feeling helpful at all, since the engine needed a programme to power it up.

          "Come with me", Yusei said, so Hanako snapped out of her disbelief and looked at his eyes, asking for an explanation, "I wanna show you something!" He gave her a wink and started walking away, leaving her frozen in place with a blush on her face at the unexpected handsome wink from his side, but soon she shook her head and jumped behind him, keeping up with his steps, walking towards the computer Yusei was working on, so she watched how he sat down and turned it on, as she kept standing behind his left shoulder, looking at the screen.

"Is that Momentum Engine?" Hanako raised her eyebrows when she saw the screen.

          "Yes, the one that is using the Yusei project", he explained, showing her the virtual construction of the engine.

"But it's not moving!" Hanako said with confusion in her voice, seeing how something was wrong with the engine.

          "No, not yet", Yusei answered, "I need a programme to power it up!"

"So you want to tell me that the engine I constructed only needs the programme to be able to move and we're done with our work?"

          "Yeah", Yusei nodded, but Hanako realised his face was still worried and somehow sad, so she kept looking at him, wanting to know the reason behind his feelings, so he soon continued, "But my point is... You did a great job with the engine and you shouldn't be feeling so bad about it, because I am the one who is not able to construct a programme for your creation and the one who should be feeling useless!"