Me Before You

Chapter 9

(following anime episode 45)

          "Yesterday, a black fog suddenly fell over Satellite", Martha started explaining what happened while Yusei was in Neo Domino City and now with everyone gathered in the dining room around the table, she could finally have them all under her watch. "And when the fog cleared, the people there just vanished!" Almost everyone that Yusei met and cared for was now here: Rua and Ruka were sitting next to him and Jack was across; Martha was sitting on his right, on the edge of the table while Hanako was on the other edge across her with Saiga and Aki next to her left and right. She was looking at Martha, who bowed her head when Yusei jumped in to break her sentence.

"Vanished?!?"

          "That's right", Martha murmured with saddened face.

"Almost everyone..." Hanako whispered while her face saddened.

          "Though the fog didn't reach here, so we were safe from it", Martha added in the end.

"Rally, Taka, Nerve, Blitz and Crow haven't come back", Saiga said with a serious look on his face.

          "They what?" Yusei shouted with the feelings of guilt.

"Crow was..." Hanako started but couldn't finish because tears were stopping her voice from remaining calm and normal.

          "What happened to him?" Yusei was curious.

"He went outside to check the kids and..." Hanako tried to explain.

          "Crow..." Yusei murmured.

"Are those all your friends, Yusei?" Rua asked curiously.

          "Yeah", Yusei nodded, what made Rua, Ruka and Aki sad and worried just like they could feel the loss of a friend that Yusei was experiencing now. Rua's voice made Martha look at him when she saw Aki Izayoi sitting next to him and his sister Ruka.

"Would you happen to be Senator Izayoi's...?"

          "Yes", Aki smiled, "I am his daughter, Aki!"

"Ah, right! Yusei, you managed to open her heart's door for her, didn't you?" Martha was happy but Yusei remained serious, "I'm relieved!" She was smiling to Aki when she saw Yusei's face after Hanako was trying to point it to her feeling worried for him. "What about you? Don't tell me you're still afraid of Kiryu?"

          "I am..." He moved his head away, "That terrifying card activated by absorbing people's souls... The Earthbound Immortal", he closed his eyes for a second like he was remembering that scene, "To be honest, I'm afraid of that card..."

"And to think how we held that conversation just yesterday", Hanako murmured to herself, shaking her head.

          "But I have a lot of friends in my corner!" Yusei raised his head not wanting to look powerless.

"Don't get the wrong idea!" Jack shouted, "I haven't become anyone's friend!"

          "Jack", Hanako tried to scold him, "If you're not going to help your friends, you can leave this room!" She stood up and raised her voice.

"I'm not interested in making friends with any of you! I have my reasons for being here!"

          "I told you to exit the room if that's the case!" Hanako looked at him sharpening her eyes, pointing to the door with her finger, "Now!" She shouted again thinking about Crow and Jack's disrespectful manners.