We named her Baby

Chapter 17

(following anime episodes 69 and 70)

          It was more quite than usual in Zola's house. Down in the garage, both Crow and Jack were absent, while Yusei was working hard on adapting his frame to the new engine design that Hanako proposed. He was so concentrated to his work, he hardly realised she was there with him, sitting on the floor just few inches away, trying to reassemble the parts of the engine, so that she can turn it into a V4 instead of V-Twin. They were both present, yet absent: without chatting or talking, both silent and focused on their task; but silence soon disappeared when Yusei's voice reached Hanako's ears.

"You really think we can make that V4 in six months?"

          "No", Hanako murmured, turning her eyes to him, keeping her poker face on, but then his reaction of disappointment made her smile, as she continued, "We can make it in 3 months!" And instead of getting back his smile, Hanako's face saddened, when Yusei just moved his look away, focusing on the W.R.G.P. poster, as he let a sigh and moved the sweat from his forehead with his forearm! Seeing him like that, she tried to say something to make him feel better, but just when she opened her mouth, someone rushed into the garage.

"Hello!" Sweet child's voice suddenly filled in the garage, so Hanako looked up to see who was it, as the kid continued to explain his visit, "I came to pick up Dupont-san's computer!"

          "Marco?" Hanako whispered through a smile, when her words made Yusei look up to see Marco's presence.

"You're helping Dupont-san today, Marco?" Yusei started, "Working hard, I see!"

          "Yup, I am!" Marco smiled widely, looking like he was proud of himself.

His posture made Hanako giggle, but at the same time, it made her heart feel so sad, how he was so young and yet destined to work so hard, just because of his financial situation, "Delivering packages again?"

          "Yeah, Baby!" Marco shouted with joy, "'Cause I have a sick mum and brother at home, so I have to buckle down, work and make money", he explained, making Hanako remember her kids from under the Daedalus Bridge and how they were all so talented and workaholic, but none of them ever had a chance to prove their worth because Satellite was quarantine for people like them.

Yusei looked at Hanako's facial expression, knowing exactly what was on her mind, so he tried to get to the point as soon as possible, "You were able to fix it, right?" He raised one eyebrow at Hanako, as she was the last one working on Dupont's computer.

          "Sure", Hanako snapped out of her thoughts, "I left it in the back!" She pointed to the back left of the garage, "It's covered with the dark red sheet!"

Yusei nodded, before he looked at Marco, "Just give me a second!" He said, moving to the back of the garage.

          Marco watched Yusei leave, so he turned his head back to the prototype frame, smiling widely, "Is that a D-Wheel, Baby?"

"It's just a test frame", she said, "We are trying to develop a new engine for our runners".

          "I see... When I grow up, I want to become a Turbo Duellist, too!" Marco's face suddenly showed a huge smile, distracting Hanako's mind from her work and negative thoughts.

"I'm sure you will!" Hanako managed to smile softly, "Working so hard, you will grow up very strong!"

          As Marco nodded to her statement, Yusei came back, holding the box with computer in it, taking it outside and looking at Marco, "Come with me!"